Project M6L to M6R on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
The reason I have a rack is for stability when I am wheeling my Brompton or when it's standing up. I put loads in the front basket: it makes the front of the bike more stable and it makes flipping the back wheel under much quicker if I don't have to remove something from the rack.

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Creativity is unlimited. Here pics of a mod I found in a small ad a couple of years ago. I'd call them "easier wheels". ;) On the front are btw. the old small plastic standard roller wheels.

View attachment 626989
oh dear... Looks like shopping trolley! :laugh:
No, I was thinking to leave these https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompto...els-with-fittings-le-version-per-pair-soiled/ in front since they already on a bike and either add another pair on the back of rack or add these:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/brompton-eazy-wheel-rollers-with-fittings-5-mm-holes-per-pair/

In both cases final price is still lower than buying the kit. The question with 5mm is how to fit in a rack, since it is made for 6mm hole wheels. Also how the bike will roll on a rack with smaller wheels in front and bigger in a back. For short distances I find that carrying bike is not that bad. Shopping can be done without any folding in many places nowadays. It is Brompton after all! Part of British culture! Bike is not that big when unfolded - it is almost like having a stroller with you. Outside UK it is probably different situation...

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Don't quote me on this, but I think if you have L version you pretty much don't need any rack bolts. I think you will be able to reuse the ones that attach L type mudguard to the brompton frame. I haven't tried that, but they look long enough. Mudguard stays are about the same width as rack stays. Also there is a screw and a nut that holds mudguard roller on L mudguard and I think it is possible to use that to attach R type mudguard to the rack. So it looks it is possible to get away with just a rack and R type rear mudguard.

Top Bottom