Proof that litter stays for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I spotted this today whilst walking. Just how long is it since drink tins had pull rings like this? 1990ish?

I picked it up with the intent of putting it in the bin for recyclables back at the car park but forgot so it's still in my pocket.

Might list it on ebay as a rare antique :laugh:

Push tabs on soft drink cans were introduced in 1989 in the UK, so that's from '88 or earlier.

How do I know? Part of the novel I'm writing is set in 1989, so I had to go and look that up, as in the chapter I'm working on, one of my characters opens a can of fizzy pop, and i had to know whether he could do it one-handed or whether he needed two hands and a screwdriver. :blush:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Push tabs on soft drink cans were introduced in 1989 in the UK, so that's from '88 or earlier.

How do I know? Part of the novel I'm writing is set in 1989, so I had to go and look that up, as in the chapter I'm working on, one of my characters opens a can of fizzy pop, and i had to know whether he could do it one-handed or whether he needed two hands and a screwdriver. :blush:
There were still some canned drinks that had the old style in 1990. I clearly remember some guy in Blackburn moaning about the new ring pulls and that was in 1990 (I was on a training course, it couldn't have been any other year)... the only cans left in the local shop with old style was Ginger Beer and Tango and he didn't like either of those; Coke had already switched. With long BB dates and existing stock to sell through, 89 and 90 would have been transitional years, so depending on which fizzy pop your character was drinking, it could have been either style of ring pull :okay:

Ah yes, those of the right age will remember you those ring-pulls could be pinged across the classroom at high speed. I hate to think how many eyes were injured.

I remember at school we used to either (a) drop them inside the open can or (b) collect them to make bracelets and belts. :blush:

Although that was only when (c) the ring parted company with the can, and you needed to stab it with something sharp in order to open the wretched thing...

There were still some canned drinks that had the old style in 1990. I clearly remember some guy in Blackburn moaning about the new ring pulls and that was in 1990 (I was on a training course, it couldn't have been any other year)... the only cans left in the local shop with old style was Ginger Beer and Tango and he didn't like either of those; Coke had already switched. With long BB dates and existing stock to sell through, 89 and 90 would have been transitional years, so depending on which fizzy pop your character was drinking, it could have been either style of ring pull :okay:

I didn't actually specify what he was drinking, only that he cracked the can open with one hand. :smile:

By 1990 I remember that Tango had the push tabs by then, but I was living in London, so it may not necessarily have been the same all over the country. Orangina still had the old-style ring pulls IIRC.

roley poley

Über Member
you could pull the triangular bit off and put the remaining ring into these sort of bubblegum machines for FREE sweets

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-06 8.49.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-06 8.49.14 PM.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember the door handle broke on my uncle's Hillman and he bodged a bit of picture wire to the door lock and put one of those rings on the other end to put your finger in to pull to open the door.

Try fixing your Tesla with a bit of wire and parts from an empty Coke...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I didn't actually specify what he was drinking, only that he cracked the can open with one hand. :smile:

By 1990 I remember that Tango had the push tabs by then, but I was living in London, so it may not necessarily have been the same all over the country. Orangina still had the old-style ring pulls IIRC.
Aye, this was the arse end of Lancashire where in 1990 Coke was 'newfangled' and most were still drinking sarsaparilla or dandelion & burdock. :ohmy:

Aye, this was the arse end of Lancashire where in 1990 Coke was 'newfangled' and most were still drinking sarsaparilla or dandelion & burdock. :ohmy:

Hmmm, won't mention Tab Clear then, which was just a year or two later. I remember getting some freebies at Victoria Station en route to a university open day.

Damn did that stuff make me burp - not great when trying desperately to be ladylike... :whistle:

Top Bottom