Proofiding a Brooks Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Hi all,
I received and fitted my Brooks Flyer yesterday and have to say its looking very nice :smile:

I have ordered Proofide which should be delivered this week - will I be ok using the saddle (in the dry, 1 x 6 mile ride) in the mean time or should I wait until Ive applied some Proofide first?

Thanks, Mike

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You'll be okay using it without proofide :smile: I used my first brooks saddle for a while before applying proofide.
Just remember to wear an old pair of shorts/trousers the first ride after you've applied proofide :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Soltydog said:
You'll be okay using it without proofide ;) I used my first brooks saddle for a while before applying proofide.
Just remember to wear an old pair of shorts/trousers the first ride after you've applied proofide :smile:

And don't apply too frequently, just a good gunking when new and then maybe once a year or so.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The oldies say....

Once a day for the first week
Once a week for the first month
Once a month for the first year
Once a year for life.

It's worked for me anyway. Riding in the dry without proofhide will do no harm imo.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

GregCollins said:
The oldies say....

Once a year for life.

It's worked for me anyway. Riding in the dry without proofhide will do no harm imo.

Cool - thanks for the tip, Ill do that. The stuff should arrive today hopefully. I had a ride of the saddle last night, :sad: WOW. Its absolutly fantastic. Very comfortable and soaked up quite a few bumps that would have left me feeling very sore on the original saddle.
I just need a saddle bag that suit the style of my hybrid now :laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:
The oldies say....

Once a year for life.

Seems a bit OTT. My first brooks is about 4 years old now & I think i've only done it twice & my saddle still looks like new (apart from the indents ;))

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Soltydog said:
Seems a bit OTT. My first brooks is about 4 years old now & I think i've only done it twice & my saddle still looks like new (apart from the indents :smile:)

It may well be. But you know what the lore of the ancients is like...... you ignore it at your peril and they all turn up and go "Told you so!" when it goes pear shaped.

What I do know is that they break in fast with that method but as I've not run a controlled trial, for fear of it being a real trial, I don't have valid data.

I suspect my 15-and-a-half stone lard arse probably breaks in a Brooks a dang sight faster than a nine stone racing snake does anyway.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mike.pembo said:
Cool - thanks for the tip, Ill do that. The stuff should arrive today hopefully. I had a ride of the saddle last night, xx( WOW. Its absolutly fantastic. Very comfortable and soaked up quite a few bumps that would have left me feeling very sore on the original saddle.
I just need a saddle bag that suit the style of my hybrid now :thumbsup:

That would be a Carradice then.:smile:

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

GregCollins said:
That would be a Carradice then.:smile:

Yup, been pervin over them this morning xx(

just jim

I used mine once on a new B17. I suspect I didn't need to, since my other B17 has coped fine without it all this time.

Top Bottom