"Proper cyclists"; give it a rest!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ouch, I think I just sprained my eye sockets. Well, at least it's a variation on "I wish I was a saddle."
You just want to be the one taking it easy, stood on the shoulders!!

Velominati

What about all the survival and bug out bikers, what are they supposed to wear? A few months ago I decided to build a bug out bike, I bought an old mountain bike stripped it down, rebuilt it and sprayed it up with Halfords Camouflage colours, I fitted front and rear pannier racks, water bottle holders and loads of ex army pouches, it goes everywhere and its virtually indestructible, its great for wild camping because of the amount of gear it can take. no need to wear lycra when your on it, in fact anything goes as long as its comfortable. I prefer my old bug out bike to anything else I've owned, just throw on Shorts and tea shirt or in bad weather wear something breathable and waterproof. My old bike gets quite a lot of attention, people like it. They are never worried about the clothes I wear, its all about the bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm sorry to go off topic, but I've recently started to put ( trekking / MTB ) SPD pedals on all my bikes ( except the short stint bike ), and using multi release SPD cleats, because my ankles are suffering a bit on big rides, with SPD SL equipped bikes. The multi release cleats are brilliant. You can step out of the ( dominant ) pedal ( with a bit of practice ) with no twist, and you can get the other foot out with a ( more natural ) inside twist. Unclipping only a few times on SPD SLs, is fine. When you're having to do it 60 ( and the rest ) odd times, my ankles don't like it. It looks a bit odd, but all I care about is reducing the hammering my ankles are taking on a long ride.
These don't look out of place on a roadbike

a520_without.jpg

they may be single sided (but then so are SPD-SL) but they'll work with the SPD cleats

Velominati

I thought every one had heard of 'Bug out bikes' the other name for them is 'Survival Bikes'. they have quite a big following. I have built a few of them now and they are great fun, they are the Mad Max bikes of the cycling world.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...10283AFFE9DCCC47E8C710283AFFE9DCC&FORM=VRDGAR
Perhaps the survival bike needs its own thread.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I just had the mis-pleasure of catching up with a roadie that had the biggest arse crack I've ever seen. Completely ill fitting and incorrect clothing, I nearly parked my bike by accident. I'm still in shock and can't erase the latent image from my brain.

Top Bottom