Proper Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can see there’s lots of sections for different type of cyclists (commuting, touring, family etc). Just wondering if it would be worth putting another forum section for serious cyclists?

I consider myself a serious cyclist and it would be great if we could have a section for other cyclists like me. When I say serious I mean they would have to have bikes with, say, more than 15 gears, spent a decent amount buying it (ie you must own at least one bike over £1K and own more than one bike), wear proper clothes (SPDs, helmets, HiViz if dark etc).

I don’t want to get stuck on equipment, I also mean people who ride seriously – ie not just pootling along between cafes but go out for a fast ride and decent distances. I take it seriously so don’t want to chat to people about what the views are like etc. But I do expect someone on a similar bike etc to recognise I’m on a serious ride and nod hi when we pass.

I was thinking it could be a section called Proper Cyclists?

Drago

Legendary Member
Not sure if this is an April fools wheeze or not?

Slioch

Guru
I really like this idea.

I'm sick to death of reading on here about people "pootling" or "bimbling" and refusing to wear helmets. And those people who stop to take photographs whilst out on their rides and then post them in the "your ride today" thread - what's that all about!! :wacko:. Do they seriously think anyone else is remotely interested in their self-obsessed attention seeking delusional fantasies?

Are there any geographical limits on who can be a member of this erstwhile band @0-markymark-0. or would you propose membership is restricted to only those proper cyclists who live within, say, the M25?

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Are there any geographical limits on who can be a member of this erstwhile band @0-markymark-0. or would you propose membership is restricted to only those proper cyclists who live within, say, the M25?
Well, as much as I like the idea, I think it could be open to the rest of the country as it'll make sure us London cyclists are at the top of the list with the proper amount of money spent on bikes.

:popcorn:

http://www.velominati.com/ - off you go, 0-markymark-0 :hello:
I've only ever popped over there to be annoyed by The Rules before. OMG, is it like this every day??? Or just April 1st. What a pack of self-gratification artists! (I expected "self-gratification artists" to be censored)

THE RIDES

by frank / Nov 17 2011 / 1778 posts

The Ride. It is the cathedral of our sport, where we worship at the altar of the Man with the Hammer. It is the end to our means. Indeed, The Bike may be the central tool to our sport, but to turn the pedals is to experience the sensation of freedom, of flight. It is all for The Ride.

The world is overflowing with small, twisty roads that capture our collective imagination as cyclists. We spend our lifetimes searching out the best routes and rides; we pore over maps, we share with our fellow disciples, we talk to non-cycling locals all in pursuit of the Perfect Ride.
THE MAN WITH THE HAMMER
by frank / Dec 6 2008 / 27 posts

Cycling is a unique sport in the sense that suffering is a badge of honor. Greg LeMond once said, “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Cyclists love to suffer – it’s a badge of honor. Bernard Hinault claimed that as long as he breathed, he attacked.

At a primordial level, cycling is about the locus of control. Cyclists love to suffer because they choose to suffer. Because it challenges your mind. As Jens Voigt – my all-time favorite cyclist – says, “When you go hard, your body says, ‘STOP!’ and your mind says, ‘BODY, SHUT UP!’ And, sometimes it works! And then you GO!”

Cycling is about the glory of suffering, which is something few other sports can say.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I can see there’s lots of sections for different type of cyclists (commuting, touring, family etc). Just wondering if it would be worth putting another forum section for serious cyclists?

I consider myself a serious cyclist and it would be great if we could have a section for other cyclists like me. When I say serious I mean they would have to have bikes with, say, more than 15 gears, spent a decent amount buying it (ie you must own at least one bike over £1K and own more than one bike), wear proper clothes (SPDs, helmets, HiViz if dark etc).

I don’t want to get stuck on equipment, I also mean people who ride seriously – ie not just pootling along between cafes but go out for a fast ride and decent distances. I take it seriously so don’t want to chat to people about what the views are like etc. But I do expect someone on a similar bike etc to recognise I’m on a serious ride and nod hi when we pass.

I was thinking it could be a section called Proper Cyclists?
Hmmm, I do like the idea, although there are a couple of criteria where I fall short. However as I am one of the top cyclists in the UK and should certainly be classed as a proper cyclist for that reason alone, could I suggest that we organise some kind of race off? So, for example, my bike did not cost £1000+ but I would certainly beat you in any kind of challenge you'd like to set so I could be included in the club. In fact after you'd seen how fast I am I'd probably be a moderator.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think a proper cyclist must be someone who spent £1000 on their wheels, nay each wheel...and the cost of the whole bike £3k+?

Top Bottom