Pro's and Con's - turbo or rollers ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter_liver

As I'm new to cycling and getting more and more frustrated with the English weather I'm contemplating a trainer but know nothing about them . would much appreciate your advice.

Fubar

Guru
As I'm new to cycling and getting more and more frustrated with the English weather I'm contemplating a trainer but know nothing about them . would much appreciate your advice.

I would stick with a turbo unless you have really good balance - esp if new to cycling.

It also depends what you want to get out of it, just cycling on a turbo is boring and you are unlikely to improve - you can however use a turbo to suppliment your cycling but I would stick with max 1 hour at a time and try different routines (ie 1 minute warm up, 4 minutes at 100rpm, 1 minute cool down, repeat) - there should be plenty advice on the internet.

If you have access to a gym it may be better to try the static bikes first (or a spin class) before committing to a turbo, so it doesn't just become something you trip over! I tend to use mine during the dark winter months, I would rather be out cycling in the rain than stuck on the turbo - but they have their uses.

Good Luck!

What's stopping you cycling? Personally, I try to only let ice, gale, lightning and driving rain stop me. That means, down south, I can cycle most days of the year.

If you really find cycling outdoors a problem in July, then maybe cycling - or Liverpool - is/are not for you.

(if there have been ice storms in Liverpool, I apologise. And a turbo is definitely better for you)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You either love or hate training aids. Personally I love them and they help fill gaps when time or location are constrained, or when you're coming back from injury :B)

There's a knack, bordering on a skill, to riding rollers but it's not a secret society (actually it is :notworthy::secret:). As long as you follow the standard beginners' type advice of practicing in a doorframe, making sure tyres are at a decent pressure and not getting cocky then you'll pick it up.

There's lots happening right now with software that's making fixed trainers much more interesting.

I use rollers and a fancy Kickr and which one gets an outing depends on my mood and time constraints.

This is my list of roller pros and cons against turbos...

Pros - you ride the bike, not sit on it. This improved my technique greatly because, although I have a decent tempo cadence, my action wasn't that smooth. It improved hugely after using the rollers, especially at higher cadences. Rollers also work out more muscles than a turbo as youmaintain your balance. They're also reasonably easy to set up as you can use your normal bike without removing a wheel or skewer to fit the bike on. They're usually quieter than turbos as well.

Cons
There's always a risk of coming off, but the only stage dive I've managed was due to overconfidence. Resistance is generally lower than a turbo, especially at higher speeds, so they're not as useful if you want a high power workout. As a result, don't try to race anyone on Zwift on rollers - you'll spin out at a relatively low power while other riders achieve a higher virtual speed as they can hit a higher power.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
What's stopping you cycling? Personally, I try to only let ice, gale, lightning and driving rain stop me. That means, down south, I can cycle most days of the year.

If you really find cycling outdoors a problem in July, then maybe cycling - or Liverpool - is/are not for you.

(if there have been ice storms in Liverpool, I apologise. And a turbo is definitely better for you)
Driving rain! nowt wrong with a bit of rain. Character building.:rain::whistle:

I use a "Watt Bike", great in bad weather, great when your day has been long and it is not practicable to get out on a ride, great for a very early morning session before work, great and excellent and safe for specific target training, great for getting to listen to your music collection while you ride. Turbo trainers every cyclist should have one.

tyred

Legendary Member
I never let weather stop me - all a question of proper preparation.
wetride.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Had one for a month, It was very good with a magnetic resistor that was actuated by watts, speed, or any number of factors, also could plug it into a laptop so it could follow videos and automatically just for hills etc.

Found it very tedious.

Ended up watching movies on my iPad whilst I span.

Generated a whole load of sweat which would usually evaporate on a ride but was far easier to maintain an good average speed and felt like a faff to mount the bike, dismout, plug it in amd set up the px/iPad. Seemed easier to just go out for a ride.

What I did like was that sometimes the thought of having to travel 20 miles away from home to gain excercise is something's a drag, so just bing in the workshop was handy.

Sold it on eBay for £30 more than I paid for it.

Citius

For fitness/performance improvement, a turbo makes more sense than rollers. For warming up (ie pre race), or for specific technique or skill development (ie balance, cadence drills, etc) then rollers are more useful/practical.

BSRU

A Human Being
For me personally, my turbo has resulted in a significant improvement in performance/fitness, this was after many years of a performance/fitness plateau:sad:.
Over a 4kph improvement to my average of last year(even for 100+km rides) and I am cycling far less:okay:.
Smashed all my personal bests on private hill segments, even today just cruising along a slightly uphill 1km segment I managed to match last years best effort(when I was giving it full gas).:okay:
My pros:- allows me to cycle in the warm and dry all year round and catch up on tv series/films I wouldn't normally watch(recently enjoyed watching "Luther")^_^.
My con:- I have no excuse not to ride the bike:wacko:.

The Hat

Inever tried rollers, but i love my turbo. The thing wit h turbos is that quality really does matter, oh and sufferfest !

Dave7

Legendary Member
I only have an excercise bike as my wife likes to use it also.
It certainly helps over the winter (which seemed to last 11 months this year).
I am thinking of getting a turbo as it will help my nether regions to stay in tune with the saddle & bike in general.
Pros.......keeps you bike fit over the 'orrible weather.
Cons........It does get boring. I put mine facing up the avenue & put some decent music on but can only manage 45 minutes before becoming brain dead.

OP
OP
peter_liver

peter_liver

I'm very close to buying some sort of training aid and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the training/exercise bike. Some of them look like they are close to simulating a road race bike.

Top Bottom