Protect the NHS, part 2. Reduce avoidable hospital admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Back on topic, cycling pretty much got me through the depression of the first lockdown, not long rides, but regular hour rides. I’m going to have to motivate myself to get out in the less desirable weather again, now, to help with my Mental Health over the next however many weeks this could take.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I promise not to ride any of my bikes until we are out of lockdown :okay:
Well done @potsy
Bravo and well said @I like Skol I have also decided to do the same as previous lockdown and adopt the turbo again ^_^

Doesn't bear close scrunity. Are we going to tell people not to drive cars and motorcycles ? - are we going to stop people doing DIY ?

Where do you draw the line ?

I cycle in part to counter the damage asthma did to my lungs as a kid - keep the weight off and keep the rest of my CV system healthy. I don't believe I have been asked to halt that.

We haven't been told to stop cycling.

No different to most of the world at the moment. I have mates in France & Spain and I am in Italy and all under curfews, lockdowns and issues managing with Health service. UK doing nothing different to rest of Europe

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, also ok to go out for exercise

Specifically unlimited and often as you want

steverob

Guru
During the first lockdown, I did not have use of my outdoor bike for a long period due to a mechanical that I could not fix and my LBS were so busy that I could not get an appointment. But as I had an indoor trainer and access to Zwift, I was okay for exercise, or so I thought.

But within a month I was starting to go stir crazy; working from home full time, barely getting outside (only to walk to my local shop once a week maybe) and I quickly realised that for my own mental health I needed to get away from these four walls and understood how much I was missing my bike rides.

This time round, I will definitely be riding outside. Maybe not very long rides, but long enough that it’s doing my health good both physically and mentally.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I will be riding for as long as we are allowed to. With my regular cycling buddies we have decided we will take it in turns to ride together that is 1+1.

The only things I have left to do in my life are domestic duties and cycling. I've spent the last seven months following the guidelines, regulations, laws or whatever one chooses to call them to the letter and beyond.

I am allowed to exercise outside for as long as I wish every day and I will do so. Everything else has been taken away, to suggest I should reduce or stop cycling to help protect the NHS is ludicrous.

Without cycling I would already be in the depths of misery.

What other forms of exercise does the OP suggest should reduce or stop to protect the NHS?

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic
We have been asked to stay at home and only make essential journeys for food or work, or did I miss something?

I remember well the last lockdown: particularly the way that a fraction of motorists deemed that essential journeys involved treating the roads as racetracks. In fact, while the number of vehicles fell sharply, the number of RTCs did not. Perhaps we ought to start there?

(And, yes, I will be taking things somewhat more carefully - but then, with the damp roads, wet leaves and treacherous conditions that autumn always brings, I always do. Autumn is never the time to be chasing personal bests.... )

lane

Veteran
I will be riding for as long as we are allowed to. With my regular cycling buddies we have decided we will take it in turns to ride together that is 1+1.

The only things I have left to do in my life are domestic duties and cycling. I've spent the last seven months following the guidelines, regulations, laws or whatever one chooses to call them to the letter and beyond.

I am allowed to exercise outside for as long as I wish every day and I will do so. Everything else has been taken away, to suggest I should stop cycling to help protect the NHS is ludicrous.

Without cycling I would already be in the depths of misery.

What other forms of exercise does the OP suggest should stop to protect the NHS?

+1

weareHKR

During the first lockdown, I did not have use of my outdoor bike for a long period due to a mechanical that I could not fix and my LBS were so busy that I could not get an appointment. But as I had an indoor trainer and access to Zwift, I was okay for exercise, or so I thought.

But within a month I was starting to go stir crazy; working from home full time, barely getting outside (only to walk to my local shop once a week maybe) and I quickly realised that for my own mental health I needed to get away from these four walls and understood how much I was missing my bike rides.

This time round, I will definitely be riding outside. Maybe not very long rides, but long enough that it’s doing my health good both physically and mentally.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom