Protein content of food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
As part of my campaign to control blood glucose and reverse low level T2 diabetes I have adopted a low carb/higher fat and protein diet. The website consensus is that at 80kg weight I should aim for 100g of daily protein intake. My conclusion is the the following intakes would meet the target:
  • 910g of chicken
  • 980g of steak
  • 16 large eggs
  • 1k of lentils or wild rice
Are these figures close enough?

If you're aiming for low carb, then eating 1kg of lentils or wild rice isn't going to help! To genuinely control T2 diabetes, you would need to adopt a ketogenic way of eating, meaning that you no longer burn carbs to provide energy. To stay in a permanent fat burning state, you'd need to limit your carb intake to around 100g/day on average. Other people have higher or lower rates before it kicks them out of a fat burning state.

1kg of wild rice is 750g of carbohydrate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Dodo, thanks - nice to hear from you again. I do not think I need to follow to the ketogenic route. For the moment BG levels are well controlled by diet, exercise and chromium supplements at typically 6.5 mmol/L.

My current objectives are to maintain BG levels and avoid further weight loss. I have unwillingly lost 5 kg in 3 months and am now down ro 77kg. Of course, I was not thinking of having a diet involving a 1kg of lentils each day! I like variety and am looking for a rule of thumb so that I can know if I am meeting target intakes . FWIW, my conclusion is steak and chicken and high protein pulses are roughly 10% protein (by weight), ham, yoghurt about 5%. Mozzarella is v high so that with tomato will on the hors d' oeuvre menu in future.

This is a complex subject in that I am trying to balance several objectives using layman's knowledge. Maybe it is time to consult the sports nutritionists.

stephec

Legendary Member
Are those portion sizes just to meet the 100g of protein?

What I've read in the past is that 100g of beef contains about 30g of protein.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
"Yes. The numbers are very wrong. You'd get about 100g of protein in 320g of chicken, for example"
Do you recall your source on which you base your statement? Are your other stats differing in the same way - ie the various foostuffs are more protein rich than my stats suggest?

Travs

I did an online sports nutrition course at the start of the year.

Now. In absolutely NO WAY am I claiming that this gives me any credit whatsoever.

I did it because it was a cheap Groupon deal and it would be useful to consolidate what I've picked up over the years and see if there are any gaps in the basic knowledge that I have.

I kept the slides notes and could forward them to you if you wanted. There'a some really basic obvious info in there but it's all broken down quite well into each session and there may be some great little bits. If you want, PM me an email address and I'll send them to you.

Otherwise, it may well be worth using a sports nutritionist to construct and diet plan for your health and weight maintenance.

For a more effective, safer and cheaper way:

DrBarnardDiabetes.jpg

Study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677007/

Talk from Dr Barnard, who has successfully helped thousands with this:

Top Bottom