Protein Shakes for Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm not online very often and since 2015 have been an on and off cyclist for purely leisure purposes.

I love cycling and thankfully I'm fit enough and 24. The thing that stops me though is I struggle to eat enough in general, and I have moderately bad anxiety which aren't a good combination when I try to get out and exercise and occupy myself, especially this year. I often run out of energy, my mood gets foul and a few scary times have genuinely felt like I'm dying or dizzy... I've had all the checks at the GP and thankfully everything looks fine.

So in short, if I were to boost my energy levels (in addition to doing my best with breakfast, lunch and dinner) with say one glass of whey protein an hour before a cycle in the evenings will this help me with my problems mentioned above?

I love cycling and have felt the benefits of being fit physically and mentally during past times of cycling a lot. Id take that over a gym even in the winter. I've never liked the idea of protein shakes when I used to go to a gym whatsoever... I view it as a necessary tool to help with my problems and have no desire to look a certain way or whatever like a lot of people.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
So in short, if I were to boost my energy levels (in addition to doing my best with breakfast, lunch and dinner) with say one glass of whey protein an hour before a cycle in the evenings will this help me with my problems mentioned above?
No

bladesman73

Über Member
Protein is for recovery after a ride. Your best bet is to eat slow release carbs before a ride, I used to have a tin of rice pudding about 1 hour before I played a match when I played football, and it really helped. Take some gels or energy bars out on your ride, or take snacks like rice cakes, pieces of maltloaf, or even a jam sandwich wrapped in foil etc

You need carbs before the ride and maybe the protein after the ride. Protein is not a good or quick source of energy, but essential to muscle recovery and growth after exercise.

Each mile you cycle may burn about 40 calories, so for a 10 mile ride you may want to consider eating something around 400 calories. Most of us carry around that amount of energy all the time as we eat too much, but if you're running close to empty all the time make sure you eat well in advance of the ride.

Absolutely not.
According to your other thread you are cycling for 45 minutes on a bike path. I don't want to come across as discouraging, but that's not the kind of cycling that needs protein shakes.

Much better to investigate and practise trial and error to get to the bottom of your eating issues.

Good luck!

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

Absolutely not.
According to your other thread you are cycling for 45 minutes on a bike path. I don't want to come across as discouraging, but that's not the kind of cycling that needs protein shakes.

Much better to investigate and practise trial and error to get to the bottom of your eating issues.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I totally get what you mean, this sort of detail should be reserved for guys spending a whole day or two on the saddle far from home. The only reason I'm concerned is because I'm scared that even in days I don't cycle, I'm affected by not eating enough. And as I'm already slightly under weight I'm scared of losing more or making my journey to be less skinny a steeper uphill battle. Even for my 45 mins, I want to be not even making a dent in my energy as opposed to just about replacing what was lost cycling to support gaining weight .

The only reason I'm concerned is because I'm scared that even in days I don't cycle, I'm affected by not eating enough.

If you are not eating properly or enough, your diet will be deficient in more than protein.
Again, the root is your issue with eating.
I'm not qualified to offer any other advice.
Perhaps a chat with your gp is a good first step.
45 minutes of cycling is neither here nor there in terms of being a problem unless that 45 minutes is spent climbing some local mountain.

Drago

Legendary Member
As aforementioned, slow release carbs is the key. Pulses, oats, that sort of thing. Do a bit of Googling to see what sort of slow release nosh floats your boat.

That said, unkess youre douing jnterstellar mileage very regularly, a decent, balanced diet should accommodate your cycling exertions with little issue.

Sharky

Guru
It takes time for any food eaten to be turned into energy. So on a short 45 min journey, nothing you eat is going to be utilized as energy. If you are feeling hungry, it is just your mind mechanism telling you that you need to start taking in food.
So as others say, eat well before the ride.

Top Bottom