Protein shakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Apologies if this subject has already been exhaustively discussed.

Over the last 3 happy years of cycling I have taken the view that I can eat whatever I want because I'll burn it all off tomorrow. I'm 65, a smoker but no longer a drinker, and not overweight - in fact, I feel fitter than I ever have.

In terms of diet and food-types, I reckon there are only four food-types - potatoes, bread, chocolate, and everything else. An ideal post-ride meal would be a fried-potato sandwich topped with a chocolate sauce [not to be taken seriously...].

I am mostly vegetarian and get protein via eggs and pulses - but it's probably not enough if I want to keep increasing endurance fitness. A friend in the US has suggested that I try protein shakes to supplement my protein intake. I've always associated protein shakes with bodybuilding - which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Does anyone have any views as to whether these shakes are a useful diet supplement - or whether I'd be much better served by expanding my diet to incorporate other natural products such as tofu?

Drago

Legendary Member
You forgot the bacon food group.

Gorilla Whey is my favoured brand, if that's any use to you. I don't believe it contains real gorilla,

Joffey

Big Dosser
Your body can only absorb so much protein, the rest you just piss out. Find out exactly how much you are consuming first and then see if your body can accept any more and if so use a supplement / eat more. If you can't you are literally pissing your money away.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I use them as mainly meal replacement and recovery

Don't take more than the stated daily amount (usually three shakes a day)

There have been cases (including a relative of a colleague here at work) of it congealing in the intestines, causing very serious problems

Additionally, you may want to look at Creatine too - although there are differing schools of thought on the effectiveness of that also.

Personally, I find it useful for my endurance for both cycling and weight lifting, but is only effective for a few months. I give it an 8 week rest before restarting

Joffey

Big Dosser
This isn't true.

Ok, I'll re word it:

From my understanding you can only 'use' so much protein then your body has to use it in other ways and store it. This is just a waste. if you are eating enough protein in the first place you don't need the shakes.

But as the OP said, he might not be eating enough in the first place so the first port of call is to see if this is the case rather than spending money on shakes which he may not even need.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Thank you for these responses. I think that you've validated my initial (but unreasoned) view that these shakes are probably unnecessary, unless like Threevok, I decided to do some weight-lifting: maybe build up some upper-body strength in the winter months.

But …. Joffey: could you please explain to me how I can calculate how much protein I'm consuming? is there a simple formula I can apply?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is interesting;

"The human body is unable to store extra protein. Protein consumed in excess of the body's needs is not used to build muscle; rather, it is used for non-protein bodily functions.
If individuals consume protein in excess of their caloric and protein needs, the extra protein will not be stored as protein. Unfortunately such extra protein is converted to and stored as fat. As a result, if individuals consume large amounts of extra protein in addition to their regular dietary intake, any weight gain would very likely be in the form of fat.
Another important point to keep in mind is that the potential for harm exists if protein is consumed in excess. Such harm is most likely to occur in the individual who consumes protein or amino acid supplements.
For example, excess protein may lead to dehydration, because protein metabolism requires extra water for utilization and excretion (i.e., elimination) of its by-products. Since exercising individuals are already at an increased risk for dehydration, the additional strain of protein waste excretion may further promote dehydration.
Excess protein has also been shown to lead to an increase in the loss of urinary calcium. A chronic calcium loss, due to excess protein intake, is of particular concern because it may increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women.
Source: Bryant, Cedric X. 101 Frequently Asked Questions about "Health & Fitness" and "Nutrition & Weight Control". Sagamore Publishing, 1999."

https://www.verywellfit.com/protein-recommendations-for-exercise-1229792

Last edited:
I use a protein shake most days and have threw my weight loss journey, it helps keep the muscle as you loose the fat , as I am now riding more I tend to have on as soon as I return home and on my first 50 the other day I had one before I left and one on my return. My wife has noticed a definite increase in muscle .on me as I do weights in between rides
This is what I use , .Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Processed junk food. Use as a last resort only. Increase dietary protein from whole foods first. Ask your GP to refer you to a dietician or nutritionist if you have concerns. Some surgeries used to have them visit quarterly or so but my current one doesn't AFAIK.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Thank you for these responses. I think that you've validated my initial (but unreasoned) view that these shakes are probably unnecessary, unless like Threevok, I decided to do some weight-lifting: maybe build up some upper-body strength in the winter months.

But …. Joffey: could you please explain to me how I can calculate how much protein I'm consuming? is there a simple formula I can apply?

You could use the app My Fitness Pal - if you input your food VERY ACCURATELY over a few days you will get an idea how much you are consuming. Make sure you log using the verified food types and cross check it with google where possible. I think you need about 0.75g of protein per 1kg of body weight according sources online (BBC).

Joffey

Big Dosser
I use a protein shake most days and have threw my weight loss journey, it helps keep the muscle as you loose the fat , as I am now riding more I tend to have on as soon as I return home and on my first 50 the other day I had one before I left and one on my return. My wife has noticed a definite increase in muscle .on me as I do weights in between rides
This is what I use , .Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey

If individuals consume protein in excess of their caloric and protein needs, the extra protein will not be stored as protein. Unfortunately such extra protein is converted to and stored as fat. As a result, if individuals consume large amounts of extra protein in addition to their regular dietary intake, any weight gain would very likely be in the form of fat."

https://www.verywellfit.com/protein-recommendations-for-exercise-1229792

Interesting - maybe knock the protein shakes on the head for more weight loss? But if it's working for you then fair enough!!

Interesting - maybe knock the protein shakes on the head for more weight loss? But if it's working for you then fair enough!!

Since October 2017 to date I have lost 7 stone 6lbs ,knocking the protein shakes of will not help me loose more weight ,
the intake of protein recommended for male is 0.8gram per kilo of body weight a day ,that's your lean body weight not your overweight body weight ,

I regular eat over the guide lines for protein , muscle groth whilst loosing weight and eating at a decifit is very very slow the reason the wife notice's a differance is the riding and weights that I do are toning the muscles ,
I will not start to build muscle till I eat in excess of my maintenance calories once I reach my goal weight

My weight loss has been threw using the My Fitness Pal app and logging now for 200 days

Last edited:
Top Bottom