PS3 - help me out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I sympathise. 12Gb is too small. 500Gb is too big!

The 12Gb one is flash memory. It is a similar thing with the newer manufactured XBOX 360s and I know what Sony were aiming for, but there's a very big difference between 12Gb (much less than this as it has software on it) and 500Gb.

By slim I assume you mean the older consoles just out of production now?

You can always buy the 12Gb and install a HD depending on how confident you are. You do have to have a suitable hard drive caddy as well as the drive though.

The space is really for downloadable content, downloadable games or installing games on the HD etc. When my XBOX 360 broke I bought the one without a hard drive and then later put a 20Gb one in.

redcard

Veteran
[QUOTE 2149472, member: 45"]Thanks. So we don't really need huge memory if they're just playing discs? Is there any difference in terms of performance or graphics?[/quote]

The storage is for installing games / demos. You'd get away with 12GB unless you're a proper gamer.

One thing to consider is power consumption. The newer models consume way less power than the older models. Wikipedia has a good summary.

marinyork

[QUOTE 2149472, member: 45"]Thanks. So we don't really need huge memory if they're just playing discs? Is there any difference in terms of performance or graphics?[/quote]

Nope. No noticeable real world difference in performance (flash vs hard drive and people doubt this). Nope - the only thing with better graphics made by sony is the PS4 and that's probably not out for about a year.

It's just that generally the amount of space people use for these things has risen. If you strictly stick to not doing any of that stuff you really don't need it.

marinyork

One thing to consider is power consumption. The newer models consume way less power than the older models. Wikipedia has a good summary.

They are also a lot smaller and quieter, but it depends which ones you're comparing to :smile: . I'm pretty grateful my new XBOX 360 is much quieter than it's predecessor and similarly a mate thinks the same with the slim.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will regret getting the small storage. We went XBOX with 250gb rather than the 4GB version, and it's all the 'add ons' and apps that you need for storage - e.g. game expansion packs, various additional media players (iplayer, 4OD etc. etc.). Slim is the newer version (been out ages).

green1

Über Member
Get the one with the smallest storage that isn't flash. Then go buy a bigger 5200rpm laptop HD and put it in (better to do it before you have anything to back up), 10 minute job and will save you at least 50 quid.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 2151705, member: 259"]Yes

Having a bigger hard drive is also very useful for going on holiday - you can store a load of ripped DVDs on it. We also bought one with a small hard drive and then installed a 500GB one as soon as it arrived - it's not at all difficult.[/quote]

But it will invalidate your warranty, so cross your fingers that nothing breaks on it within a year.

green1

Über Member
Depends, personally I don't get on with the controllers, it has more features on line, however there is an yearly subscription fee (i think its about 30 quid) for the on line stuff where as the PS3 is free on line.

marinyork

[QUOTE 2153948, member: 45"]An X box is cheaper. How do they compare?[/quote]

Depends what you want. Shimano vs Campag. Whatever is said will annoy the other.

Most of the serious gamers I know have all got XBOX 360s for the gaming, some of them have PS3s but use it for other things. There is still a big gaming community on the PS3 but it's nowhere near as large and world destroying as Sony hoped. It surprised them as they regarded themselves as the more dominant games machine with PS2 vs XBOX.

The PS3 is the better all round multimedia console, apart from having a blu-ray player, it handles things like Netflix way better and plays 3D stuff adequately well.

I prefer the achievements system on XBOX 360 (this was the biggest flaw with the Wii). The on-line service on the PS3 was awful for ages, but it was free. There's now a lot of cool content than there was and downloadable stuff on the PS3. PS3 has certain titles that XBOX 360 doesn't. When I go to a mate's house I mostly go on Singstar though (which the game is now free and downloadable). Unlike many people I hate the PS3 controllers.

As for cost, it's not that the XBOX is cheaper, it's just the PS3 has always been overpriced. The XBOX could still be argued to being overpriced or about the right price for where we are in the cycle (the next gen Wii, XBOX and PS3 will all be out within a year - it is hoped).

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Xbox 360 all the way. It has more games available to play on it. Both games and the console are cheaper than a PS3. The quality of new games is the same on Xbox and PS3 (PS3's are sometimes better quality graphics).
TBH the main reason I never liked PS3's was because they just seemed to scream cheap at people. The reason being is that they still use the old controllers. Granted you can get wireless ones now, but Xbox changed their whole design of controller for the 360. 3

As has been said before, the Xbox 720 and PS4 are going to be coming out sometime next year and they have both been said to have plenty of new features (blue-ray player in Xbox, 3D function). However, you are obviously talking about this christmas so if cost is a main worry (and it obviously is) then I would opt for a Xbox as they are cheaper, have the same graphics in certain games, have a wider variety of games, and have a wider range of storage which will be useful to you.

Col5632

Guru
The reason being is that they still use the old controllers. Granted you can get wireless ones now, but Xbox changed their whole design of controller for the 360. 3

I may be alone here but you get used to a certain controller and with me having a ps1 and ps2 i like that the controller has stayed the same for the ps3, why change a layout that works and people are used to and all the controllers for the ps3 are wireless and charged by the usb cable.

green1

Über Member
The reason being is that they still use the old controllers. Granted you can get wireless ones now, but Xbox changed their whole design of controller for the 360.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ergonomically most people find the PS3 controllers fit their hands better, particularly people with small hands (I have buckets for hands but still find Xbox controllers really cumbersome).

Top Bottom