psoriasis no more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Dovonex contains Calcipotriol which is vitamin d in a fairly high dose.
Dovonex worked quite well for me when I had a large patch on a leg. Interesting that it boosts vit D. Exposing the area to sunlight regularly also helps as that gets the body to produce vit D.

All I have left now (thankfully) is a patch on my scalp. It gets worse if I don't keep my hair short (as in a no. 1) so the sun can get at it. Itches like crazy when it gets bad.

My Dad had it quite badly on his knuckles, elbows and knees, but it's almost completely gone now.

BRounsley

Über Member
Last time I was at the doctors about it he suggested the vitamin D. He suggested a very large daily dose but only for a couple of weeks. 40,000 a day I think (but I could have made the number up).

There is a lot of talk about sun light. That’s where the UVB treatment comes from. You create vitamin D via sunlight (convert vitamin C I think). It’s also worth noting that the UVB, which comes from sunlight, can’t pass through most glass (so don’t’ sit in a conservatory). I’ve also read that most tanning sunbeds don’t give off UVB. So that’s just going to give you skin cancer.

So if you want to go UVB then you’re sunbathing outside in winter or you have to buy a lamp.

Last time I was at the doctor he seemed clued up. I was asking for “salicylic acid” at the time, my dad had some success with it. He agreed it would work to remove the plaque, same with UVB, but his opinion was you’re treating the symptom.

This thread has got me going back to basics. Most I know but a couple of things I’ve learnt are am going to try.

I didn’t I realise hot showers are bad. I’m a very active (and sweaty) person, so 2 to 3 showers a day is not uncommon for me. Not sure what I’m going to do about this

I’m also giving the psoriasis diet a go. I’m phasing in, I’m still not at the giving up booze point! The evidence on this is weak but for some it’s really helped. The core of the diet is good anyway, it basically the Mediterranean diet. The main difference is keeping away from the nightshade family. Some people go more extreme, such a slow sugar, but that’s not for me as I think you’re in realms of fad dieting. So dairy & bread are out, nut & seeds are in. The rest is basic a good diet, avoid processed food and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

Last edited:

maltloaf

My psoriasis almost completely cleared during the summer when I was out on the bike almost every day. Work changed the missus' hours and I only get out once a week now and that's what's caused it to flare up. Sunlight definitely helps it for me but the doc warned against me using sunbeds or whatever and asked me to try the creams first.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My psoriasis almost completely cleared during the summer when I was out on the bike almost every day. Work changed the missus' hours and I only get out once a week now and that's what's caused it to flare up. Sunlight definitely helps it for me but the doc warned against me using sunbeds or whatever and asked me to try the creams first.
I'm outdoors quite a bit but whether it's because I put on sunscreen, it doesn't make too much difference to me. I did swap to using a once a day type this year which means I put it on before I left the house whereas when I used the previous type I was more likely to put it on later in the day so perhaps I wasn't getting as much vit D this year and maybe need to alternate between the two types depending on when I need the most protection. Though generally I get it in places I don't expose very much!

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
been using the narrowband uvb lamp for two weeks and can see definate improvement , on hands especcialy, , only a small hand held lamp so a bit of a pain in the arse to use , takes ages, but it is working.

if anyone is thinking of trying one ( after taking advice obviously} make sure you get the philips tubes , best there is apparently.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Good luck, mine eased earlier this year and has been extremely mild to zero since the summer. So I wish you the best of luck. They sound strong if you have to take time to get up to the required strength!

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Dermatologist said they arent licensed in this country , which confused me as to how come he could prescribe them , according to google , they arent....they played hell with my stomach for a couple of weeks but settled down in the third week, i was pissed of at having to come off the cyclosporin due to high blood pressure, that was the only thing that cleared it up , so much so that i had my first ever summer in shorts and t shirt, ah well , heres looking forward to next summer.
@User259 as ive said before psoriasis is also a condition that affects mental health also

Top Bottom