Puch Alpine bought at an auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have been cleaning up the rusty rims with some rust removing gel and they have come up quite well, there is some tiny pitting but they look a lot better. The front rim is a Schumann and the rear is a Rigida, it could explain why the hubs are different. The tyres are Semperit 27x 1 1/4. I have also touched up the rust spots with some yellow which has got a bit too much black in it making it slightly green. I have got some black
IMGP2006.JPG
handlebar tape on order.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you are keeping the steel rims have a look for some Fibrax brake blocks,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...AMFFAW&usg=AFQjCNHVHR0LSm2YXP65pTR_Vm8egK3uLg

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Wow that looks so much better, beautiful bike.
It is looking a lot better and is growing on me more and more to the annoyance of my wife. To begin with, I bought the bike mainly for the saddle and Thought that I might move it on. The bike seems to have not seen too much use as the saddle and chainring teeth are hardly worn although the brake blocks are worn out. The chrome on the rims and handlebar stem is also good for its age suggesting it was used and then stored for a very long period.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I am feeling a little bit guilty of not posting it on the what have you seen on the auction thread, but at the time it was in a bit of a state and I may have also wanted to keep it to myself. It was a bit of a gamble on my part and it seems to turned out alright. As Shaun has pointed out they weren't a top of the range model but the short distance that I have ridden it it seems fine, I'm waiting for the weather to improve so that I can try a longer ride.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I took the bike out for a bit of a longer run today as the weather has brightened up a bit. I have removed the old bar tape which I think was the original tape and fitted some new padded tape. I've kept the old tape just in case. The plastic end bungs are the originals as they have the Puch logo on.
The bike feels fine although I did struggle up a small hill, whether this is due to my lack of exercise or lack of lubrication but I think a bit of both. When I got back I span the rear wheel and I could feel a definite clunk through the frame. I tried out the stopping power of rubber brake blocks on chrome rims through a puddle of water and they didn't seem too bad, the rims have dimples in and in wet conditions you have to make allowances for the fact that they wont work as well as if it was dry.
So on the whole I'm happy with the bike, it needs a bit more fettling to sort it out. The saddle is quite comfy, just needs a few more rides to conform to my shape. A new chain will need to be fitted and a bit of oiling and greasing. It is a nice bright colour and on these grey days it has an uplifting effect.
15181183_850563771747192_6782943275617189305_n.jpg

Attachments

• 15136000_850563661747203_1929238695985798100_n.jpg
    15136000_850563661747203_1929238695985798100_n.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 51

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks good and glad you are enjoying it.

If keeping look out for some 27" alloy wheels

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks, I'm not sure if the wheel is a 27 inch or if it is a 700 I'll have to check. How is your Puch by the way?

ok let me know i might even have a pr of unmatched 36 hole 27" rims stashed away

I am looking forward to getting some longer rides in on my Puch its done a week+ of 8 mile commutes and is going great

I love the yellow of yours it makes my plain white look boring :laugh:

I bought this Puch Alpine at an auction yesterday, it looked in a bit of a state covered in dust and dirt but has now come up looking a lot better now that I have given it a wash. It weighs a ton in it's present condition, or it feels that way. It has steel rims, crank, seat post and stem. The saddle is a leather Middlemores which is also in pretty good condition with a couple of cuts in the leather which may glue down. The Bluemels ally pump works and should also clean up nicely. The Weinmann brakes have a date stamp for 1975 so I am assuming that the year of manufacture for the bike is 1975/6.
This make of cycle is new to me having never seen one before, I do however remember the yellow mopeds they brought out in the 70's. I haven't test ridden it yet, I've pumped up the tyres but the bearings feel a bit notchy and so will need greasing.
I couldn't wait any longer so I thought I would give it a try out along the cycle path. It was a bit damp out with a lot of leaves lying on the ground and wet chromed steel rims. Applying the brakes reminded me of sending off a job application, you eventually get a reply. They did work sort of, mind you the brake blocks are old, worn and weren't adjusted up so they were a bit slow in slowing me down. The ride felt a bit bouncy, I think that the saddle is stiffer than my Brooks model. I think that the chain and idler gears were also a bit stiff as the ride improved as my ride progressed.
The first impressions are that the bike seems fine, some more cleaning, lubricating, new brake blocks and then another ride
Hi there, I just stumbled across your Puch Alpine post. I’m currently looking for one of these and wondered whether you still had it?
Cheers

Top Bottom