Puch Mistral SE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Very nice indeed.

When I was 13 or 14, we were seriously on the bones of our arses. I had a "bike" (a Mk. 1 Raleigh Chopper, which my dear old dad had rescued from the tip, refurbed and repainted), but I'd grown out of that and the other lads had "racers" (one had a 5- speed Raleigh, another had something with 10 speeds, bronze coloured frame, forget what it was now).

I really, really wanted a "proper" bike. And one day, in the window of John Geddes's shop in Widnes, there it was; a Puch Free Spirit, in a pearlescent silver colour, not with 5 speeds, not with 10 speeds, but with 12. I think that inherent Top Trumps-style one-upmanship was part of the reason I wanted it so badly (apart from just loving to ride bikes).

The slight fly in the ointment was the asking price of just under £120. I might as well have been asking for a return trip to the moon. It was never going to happen.

I often think of how different my life would have been had I got that bike. I coveted it so much. Would I have won Le Tour in the era of Indurain, Delgado, Roche, Rominger, Millar et all? Would I have carved out a hard, and utterly humble, life as a lowly domestique on the continent? Or would I have had the bike nicked off me by some scallies up the road?

I'd love one now, for old times sake. Even though, I believe, it wasn't actually that good a bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, but... pearlescent! ;)

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
It really was beautiful. Much better than the previous matte black with crude green lettering version.

To mine eyes, anyway.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Quick update this is ready for its first few test miles now

all cables , pads and a quick clean all done

Using this Today on my commute's, before taking it out for some longer rides.

WP_20161118_001.jpg

Just need to fit a new chain

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Right new chain and cassette finally fitted this morning so thats it all done now ready for some miles once i swap the saddle over to one of my Selle smp's

WP_20161125_004.jpg

Last edited:

yadder

Are you comfortable without handlbar tape?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice early morning ride today out of the house by 5.30 am

37 1/4 miles on the Puch , its first ride outside of nn8 postocde in my hands rode fantastic with no issues .

Nice scenic across country route to Hackleton then back home via Horton,Denton, Castle Ashby ,Yardley Hastings , Easton Maudit , Bozeat ,Hinwick and Little Irchester .

Grey but dry and not overly cold

Top Bottom