Pull Out - Driver had no idea what they did....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A34, South of Manchester...40 MPH dual carriageway, great visibility, normally a good ride up and down it.......

Old dear pulled out of a garage right in front of me, I overtook, and she thought I was wrong.....FFS....good job only on the Fixed and not the Road bike then..... would have face planted the boot.....:blush:

There was a guy on a Cannondale road bike tailing me, so he must have seen it......

What is scary/odd...is how slow it seems in real life - it's over in a jiffy on camera, but the old heart pumping out etc. makes the 'systems' work overtime.......what I'm saying is most drivers are half asleep....body systems are ticking over at rest......

The last Manc. Track session made me think - the follow the coach up and down the banking....seemed seriously slow (i.e. fall off track slow) after an hour of tearing around it, but watching it on video, it seemed quick...:laugh:

No harm done........... drivers have mainly 'no idea'...:wacko:

Here you go...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr35FTdHrJ8

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Doh.....CAN the MODS move this to COMMUTING........argh...........:blush: missed......

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

When out training, I've flown past cars/mini buses that have done this.... had a pull out by a minibus - I was on a slight down hill in a big gear (no rucksack and general every day stuff) on the road bike.... just floored it and left the guy for dead - fortunately had a clear road to do it..... might just make them think as a bike flies past........ or not....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
fossyant said:
Doh.....CAN the MODS move this to COMMUTING........argh...........:blush: missed......

No problem:biggrin:
For future reference, if you want a thread moved it's best to report it.
The Mods will see it that way - I just happened to notice this.

Hi Fossyant,close eh!".your signature:-Ride It Like You Stole It.Maybe that is why the "Old Dear" came flying out of the garage!!!.She could even be one of those with NO INSURANCE & NO LICENCE just like the PSYCHOTIC TW*T that killed Paul Webb in Coventry.Luck is often what you are blessed with from your Guardian Angel,not what you create.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

bauldbairn

Norm said:
Unbelievable! Nicely avoided there, fossy.

+1, a bit to close for comfort! :blush:

Matthames

Über Member
Looking at your video, I can see it was a result of looming, basically all she sees is you in the background staying roughly the same size, it makes it very difficult to judge speed and distance. Unfortunately it is a common cause of nearly all SMIDSY collisions. The best way to avoid looming is to do a sort of zig zag to break the illusion.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

TheCyclingRooster said:
Hi Fossyant,close eh!".your signature:-Ride It Like You Stole It.Maybe that is why the "Old Dear" came flying out of the garage!!!.She could even be one of those with NO INSURANCE & NO LICENCE just like the PSYCHOTIC TW*T that killed Paul Webb in Coventry.Luck is often what you are blessed with from your Guardian Angel,not what you create.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

Oh don't start....... :biggrin: Move on..... :cheers:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Matthames said:
Looking at your video, I can see it was a result of looming, basically all she sees is you in the background staying roughly the same size, it makes it very difficult to judge speed and distance. Unfortunately it is a common cause of nearly all SMIDSY collisions. The best way to avoid looming is to do a sort of zig zag to break the illusion.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

What ever......... crap drivers need to be off the road.... nuf said.............:cheers:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Matthames said:

ZIG ZAG?...at 20+MPH on a busy dual carriage way??...are you out of your mind?!!

its a push bike, not a motorcycle, its not keeping up with traffic like a motorcycle and cars are approaching its rear end at speed and anticipating an overtake. Suddenly swerving in that situation would cause a disaster.

it was the drivers fault, she was simply un-observant, no point at all in putting your life further at risk in the anticipation that some old girl who cant select the right gear "wont" know what to do.

Top Bottom