Pulled the trigger Tern HSD S8i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
lovely photos. I worken on many gearbox assemblies ( usually attached to electric motors. )
We mostly kept deep groove ball bearings in our stock in C3 fit and 2 RS ( two rubber shields ) for use on the electric motors, as it was easy to flip out either one or both of the shields as required. When we flipped a shield it always amazed me how very little grease was fitted, this was consistent over a large range of bearing sizes.
When changing bearings we would flip one of the shields and add extra grease, about a third of the void.
We always used quality bearings and got through a lot of them in a typical week. I remember getting a visit from the SKF area rep and mentioned the lack of grease. He said the grease fill was all that was required and that their research had shown that the most common cause of bearing failure was over greasing.

Agreed and I also work in the electric motor industry. Fitted plenty worm boxes. I had to fit some 6306 2RS bearings to a motor this morning ^_^

Had a really hard day at work today so I decided to let the bike do the work on the way home. Absolutely awesome !!

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Went for a long ride on Saturday and it was sheer bliss. I saw a Youtube video the other day where the presenter was giving advice on what ebike you should buy starting with power. He suggested that 250w is ok on the flat but no good for climbing hills. Ok I live in Cheshire its not overly hilly but they do exist. Im also in relatively good shape physically but at no time does my bike ever feel like its struggling uphill.

Btw got an unbelievable deal on Thule Shield panniers.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Went for a long ride on Saturday and it was sheer bliss. I saw a Youtube video the other day where the presenter was giving advice on what ebike you should buy starting with power. He suggested that 250w is ok on the flat but no good for climbing hills. Ok I live in Cheshire its not overly hilly but they do exist. Im also in relatively good shape physically but at no time does my bike ever feel like its struggling uphill.

Btw got an unbelievable deal on Thule Shield panniers.

The reviewer might have been talking about direct drive hub motors, often called pancake motors because of their large diameter.

They produce very little torque in comparison to other types, so to climb hills you need 500w or more.

On the plus side, they are whisper quiet and go quite well once wound up.

The bad outweighs the good, so there aren't many factory direct drive ebikes, but there are kits and 'ebay specials'.

Drago

Legendary Member
He suggested that 250w is ok on the flat but no good for climbing hills.
I would seriously question the reviewers knowledge/intellgence/sanity. Im 19 stones and 250W assist me up hills very nicely. OK, I still got to work for it, but not found a hill yet where I had to get off and walk.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I would seriously question the reviewers knowledge/intellgence/sanity. Im 19 stones and 250W assist me up hills very nicely. OK, I still got to work for it, but not found a hill yet where I had to get off and walk.

I agree its a quarter kilowatt and I sell & modify motors of this size so have some experience. Exactly as you wrote you do have to work a little on hills but in my case im hardly fatigued or out of breath.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
New panniers have arrived and really pleased with them.

View attachment 586269

Looks like the panniers sit on the carrier as well as could be expected.

They might be properly waterproof, but sitting so low down they will get some stick in the wet weather.

My cheapo Halfords panniers leak in heavy rain from the bottom when fitted to my 20" wheel ebike.

I know that because there's a puddle of water in the bottom of the bag, but the stuff further up stays dry.

Worth considering a liner if the contents are particularly precious or until you establish if the Thules are 100% waterproof.

I use a couple of supermarket bags for life.

If I don't pack the shopping too tightly, I can put it in the pannier still in the bag, and lift it out still in the bag when I get home.

Which is neat, even in dry weather.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Looks like the panniers sit on the carrier as well as could be expected.

They might be properly waterproof, but sitting so low down they will get some stick in the wet weather.

My cheapo Halfords panniers leak in heavy rain from the bottom when fitted to my 20" wheel ebike.

I know that because there's a puddle of water in the bottom of the bag, but the stuff further up stays dry.

Worth considering a liner if the contents are particularly precious or until you establish if the Thules are 100% waterproof.

I use a couple of supermarket bags for life.

If I don't pack the shopping too tightly, I can put it in the pannier still in the bag, and lift it out still in the bag when I get home.

Which is neat, even in dry weather.

Thanks for the reply.
So today I fitted the Tern cache box described as a glovebox for your bike. It fits low down in a a made to measure gap and is perfect for a lock and a spare inner tube/tools. Very pleased with it.

What im not so enamored with is the Abus rear wheel lock. One good thing is the same key fits the lock and the battery release. However when the rear wheel is unlocked you cant remove the key. So anytime you leave the bike unattended you must lock it and remove the key or risk somebody nicking your battery. But of course you cant put the key on the fob with all of your other keys. Unless you dont mind a bunch of keys rattling and scratching your paint as you ride. I know im going to lose that key one day or accidentally bend a spoke as I forget the lock is still engaged. I notice it is attached to the bike with just two small allen bolts. Not particularly secure in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So anytime you leave the bike unattended you must lock it and remove the key or risk somebody nicking your battery.

The other small risk is someone locks the wheel while you are away, takes the key, leaving you to return to an immobilised bike.

The lock itself would usually be welded to the bike, making removal difficult.

Abus supply their products with a key number on a plastic card, so ordering spares is fairly straightforward.

My Riese and Muller Charger is twin battery, both locks are the same, and both came with a spare, so I started off with four keys, all alike, and two plastic reference cards, also alike.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
The other small risk is someone locks the wheel while you are away, takes the key, leaving you to return to an immobilised bike.

The lock itself would usually be welded to the bike, making removal difficult.

I read that somewhere else. Another owner was worried that somebody may do that. I could really see that happening. I think with the lock being bolt on it fits with the modular theme that Tern have gone with. And in most cases I really like that but not in this case.

Top Bottom