Pump for sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the moment I have a specialized airforce mini-pump. To be fair, it isn't that mini and is a pain to take with me on sportives (I have it in a large saddle bag).

I'd like to try and carry less and so I'd like to reduce the size of the pump. What do people take with them on sportives? Ideally, I'd like something to go in a jersey pocket. Are CO2 pumps and canisters the answer?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I carry my CO2 adapter and two cannisters everywhere. I also have "sludge" in my inners as a preventative measure. I love the CO2. It saves a load of time and effort pumping and gets me up to the pressure the racing tyres need.

Yes, if I run out of those two then am buggered, but, really, if theres quite a few cyclists around, there will be a pump!

Or a load or grass/leaves stuff in the tyre if not!

For 10x CO2 cannisters for £11 on ebay, well, I think thats a bargain!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Davywalnuts said:
I carry my CO2 adapter and two cannisters everywhere. I also have "sludge" in my inners as a preventative measure. I love the CO2. It saves a load of time and effort pumping and gets me up to the pressure the racing tyres need.

Yes, if I run out of those two then am buggered, but, really, if theres quite a few cyclists around, there will be a pump!

Or a load or grass/leaves stuff in the tyre if not!

For 10x CO2 cannisters for £11 on ebay, well, I think thats a bargain!

So a couple of cannisters and the pump head in jersey pocket?

Can you control the pressure in the tyres with these cannisters or do you just have to guess?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Couldnt be arsed with co2 .. use a Blackburn airstik 58 grams or so. and a lw or ordinary tube..not forgetting levers.. making sure that tyres have as much air in poss prior to ride to ping away any shoot that might cause a puncture in first place and sorted.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Yup. Rubber band helps too!

The valve is variable so you can control how much you put in, but, for actual accurate measurements, I have to go by rule of thumb!

I believe theres two differant pressure types of cartridges. One goes to 145psi and one a bit less.. I know I can go up to 140psi so am not tooooo fussed... so to speak...

simon_brooke

magnatom said:
So a couple of cannisters and the pump head in jersey pocket?

Can you control the pressure in the tyres with these cannisters or do you just have to guess?

The problem with this solution is you cannot afford to have a slow puncture. First puncture, replace your tube and inflate; one gas bomb gone. Second puncture, you don't have a spare tube left, so you patch it; second gas bomb gone. Patch leaks, tyre slowly deflates... what do you do?

I sometimes carry gas bombs, but only with a pump as a backup. And I've had friends who chose the gas-bomb only route borrow my pump after they ran out of bombs!

My latest pump which I'm very pleased with is a Blackburn AirStick two-stage. It's tiny - smaller and lighter than three gas bombs. And it really does inflate up to 120psi (I don't go higher).

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
One thing that puts me off about “CO2 canisters” is that you may have bad luck and get more punctures than you have canisters. Some of the modern pumps are indeed smaller and lighter than the Specialized Airforce mini-pump and will fit neatly between bottle cage and frame.

I have seen some that are a bit flimsy so would suggest some from the well known brands, Topeak, Blackburn, Zefal and indeed Specialized to name a few, most quality local bike shops would probably have at least one of the brands, I chose them specifically as they are the brands stocked by the most popular UK distributors

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks for the replies guys. I like the look and size of the Blackburn Airstick, so I'll probably go for that. I've just got to think of a 'wife' excuse to buy it now.....'but you have a pump already...' :rofl:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got the Blackburn Airstick Carbon - good pump, but not that mini - bit longer than a jersey pocket. They also do a smaller airstick mini.

Stu99

Über Member
HLaB said:
I use a Topeak Micro and touch wood I've only had to use it once on a Sportive (Etape Caledonia) and it worked well. There was no complaint from the bloke who borrowed it either.

I second the Topeak Micro which I've used to good effect on a couple of occasions although it's current role is to serve as a back-up to CO2 cannisters.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Tynan said:
frame pump these days for me...

Works for me as well (Zefal HPX I reviewed here) providing I don't want to take two bottles

3700927494_c5305190d4_o.jpg

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

peanut

lost my Zefal full sized pump so carry 2x Co2 cannisters in my handlebars.
Found the zefal the other day but it is 1/2" too long to fit on my bike frame grrrr:angry:

been thinking about a mini pump but reviews say it takes 200+ pumps to get full pressure . I'd be knackered.
I think I saw a mini pump that fits to the bottle cage but can't remember the make

Top Bottom