Pump help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I just have a small hand held pump, it has a presto style connection and I use it to pump up my scwalbe marathons. Thing is it has no guage, and I can never really tell if the tyres are at the correct pressure or not....I suspect that even when I cannot pump anymore air in by hand that they still might need a little extra in there.

Any way, I 've seen the floor pumps but they are too heavy and bulky to carry on the bike.

Ideally i would like a light weight hand pump with a guage that has the ability to pump up my tyres to the correct pressures every time without much effort.

There are so many pumps out there..:biggrin:.and I do not trust LBS's in my area :biggrin:

So can anybody recommend a suitable pump that won't break the bank?

Ta

I bought two pumps (for my bikes) from Lidl (here in Stockholm) earlier in the spring for about a fiver each.
They're good enough, with a gauge, stay in place, unless nicked, but cheap to replace. Don't know, though, if Lidl still stock the pumps.
So, that doesn't really help much, then! :biggrin:

wafflycat

My problem with pumps is that I don't have the upper body strength to get enough pressure into the tyres. I can manage with a track pump, but on a wee pump to take out on emergency use on a cycle ride, I can't use any of them effectively. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I had a visit from the p*n*t*re fairy as a result of having to cycle through a ford. Changed the tube & it came to pumping up the tyre time. My cycling companion, another girlie, got out her pump. One of these:-

Cyclaire Plus

It was *amazing* Five swift pulls on it and 85lbs pressure straight in the tyre, no hassle and in seconds.

As a result, I've bought one.

monnet

Guru
I'd recommend a track pump (one of those floor standers you've seen) with a gauge on it. Before you go out make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure and carry a mini pump for emergencies when out on the road. That way you can be sure to get enough pressure in to get you home and then you can deal with the situation properly.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

that cyclair pump looks really good...any idea on how heavy it is? I couldnt tell from the site.

A track pump in the garage is ok for much of the year I suppose...however the important thing for me is when I tour...i.e I won't be coming home at the end of the ride.

wafflycat

Bigtallfatbloke said:
that cyclair pump looks really good...any idea on how heavy it is? I couldnt tell from the site.

A track pump in the garage is ok for much of the year I suppose...however the important thing for me is when I tour...i.e I won't be coming home at the end of the ride.

Just weighed mine. The pump, in its bag (it has a bag to attach to bike frame & has a side pocket in which to put spare tube, tyre levers etc), with instruction sheet, weighs about 375g

Added - pump itself sizewise, it's length is the length of my hand & it's width of my hand too. So not exactly huge

wafflycat

Most welcome. One thing I would say - that when pulling the strap at the side, you don't have to give it huge amounts of welly. Also it vibrates a lot as you pull the strap - so you have to keep you foot quite frimly on the pump.

wafflycat

I'd seen them before, but not actually in the situation of a proper test. When I got the puncture, I'd managed to get about 40lbs pressure in my tyre & set off, thinking it would get me home, but that was a nightmare to cycle. My friend said, "Shall I give it a go with my pump?" and I was not one to refuse her aid. She got this weeny-looking Cyclaire Plus out and hey-presto, up to 85lbs pressure in a few pulls on the strap. I knew then *I had to have one*

Top Bottom