Pump it up Problems, please help : )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greenmachine

Hiya
I have a hybrid bike, I recently had new swalbe tyres put on, the wheels are large, I left the bike in the shed for a few months and the tyres went down : (
when I went to pump them up my old adaptor didn't work, as the bit that attaches to the adaptor to the pump is longer and thinner and comes to a sort of point. I went and bought a new adaptor, the right one, this is the problem, I was told by the guy in the shop to losen off the tiny end bit of the value before I put on the new adaptor to the pump, which I did, which allowed my to pump up the tyre to full : ) however everytime I take the adaptor (attached to the pump) off the whole lot of the air comes out : ( Ive tried it about 7 times in this heat and now I'm really miffed off, I know I have to do up the little end bit again which I do really quickly as I can but the whole lot of air comes out. Am I doing something wrong please?
thanks

So it sounds like you have presta valves. I think you may be unscrewing the valve core, rather than the little nut on the end.

presta-y-n.jpg

just loosen that tiny little knob on the end, that is circled. Before you do that, make sure that the valve core (the silver bit just under the red circle) is as tight as you can make it with your finger, or a pair of pliers, if you are gentle.

If that doesn't help, take it into a shop. It will be easy for someone to show you what to do, or identify if the valve is faulty, if they have the hands on it. Actually, if you can't get the bike to a shop, go in to one with your pump and ask them to show you how to use it on one of their bikes. Once you know how to do it, it will be easy.

Pumping up presta valves is not difficult. If the air is rushing out - or leaking at all if you aren't pressing the end - then you are doing something quite wrong or the valve is faulty.

Reactions: JtB
OP
OP
G

greenmachine

So it sounds like you have presta valves. I think you may be unscrewing the valve core, rather than the little nut on the end.

View attachment 135416
just loosen that tiny little knob on the end, that is circled. Before you do that, make sure that the valve core (the silver bit just under the red circle) is as tight as you can make it with your finger, or a pair of pliers, if you are gentle.

If that doesn't help, take it into a shop. It will be easy for someone to show you what to do, or identify if the valve is faulty, if they have the hands on it. Actually, if you can't get the bike to a shop, go in to one with your pump and ask them to show you how to use it on one of their bikes. Once you know how to do it, it will be easy.

Pumping up presta valves is not difficult. If the air is rushing out - or leaking at all if you aren't pressing the end - then you are doing something quite wrong or the valve is faulty.
Many thanks for the reply really appreciate it, I will try tightening the silver bit, the pic was great : )

As above.
But also, when you remove the pump, do it quickly and in line with the valve, don't bend or twist the pump.
With my long frame pump or short carry pump, I give it a sharp strike to knock it off the valve.
Beware that some Presta valves are extra long to cope with deep-section racing wheels. These offer plenty of leverage to cause damage.
Sounds like you need to revert to car style shraeder valves.

Hiya
I have a hybrid bike, I recently had new swalbe tyres put on, the wheels are large, I left the bike in the shed for a few months and the tyres went down : (
when I went to pump them up my old adaptor didn't work, as the bit that attaches to the adaptor to the pump is longer and thinner and comes to a sort of point. I went and bought a new adaptor, the right one, this is the problem, I was told by the guy in the shop to losen off the tiny end bit of the value before I put on the new adaptor to the pump, which I did, which allowed my to pump up the tyre to full : ) however everytime I take the adaptor (attached to the pump) off the whole lot of the air comes out : ( Ive tried it about 7 times in this heat and now I'm really miffed off, I know I have to do up the little end bit again which I do really quickly as I can but the whole lot of air comes out. Am I doing something wrong please?
thanks
My pump supposedly works with those valves but I can never get it to. I bought an adaptor that screws onto the valve instead. Works a treat.

OP
OP
G

greenmachine

Hiya
I checked the silver bit under the red circled bit in pic above was tight and it was. I tried it again. loosened the tiny bit at the end, pumped up the tyre, carefully took off the adaptor, this time the air didn't come out then, but when I tightened the little bit on the very end back up, the whole lot of the air came out again : ( am I supposed to tighten it back up again?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hiya
I checked the silver bit under the red circled bit in pic above was tight and it was. I tried it again. loosened the tiny bit at the end, pumped up the tyre, carefully took off the adaptor, this time the air didn't come out then, but when I tightened the little bit on the very end back up, the whole lot of the air came out again : ( am I supposed to tighten it back up again?

Yes.
When it is loose, if you push the central bit in, air should come out of the valve. Tightening it up stops you being able to push the central bit in and so should keep the air in the tube.
You need to loosen it before you pump up the tyre so that when you push the pump onto the valve, the pump pushes in that central bit which allows it to push air into the tube.

Is this happening with both tyres? It's sounding like there might be something wrong with either the valves (although it would be surprising if both have broken at the same time) or the pump. Any chance of a photo of the valves and pumps? Or it might be better to take it to the shop if you can - it's always easier when someone shows you rather than interpreting people's descriptions on the internet!

Hiya
When you are done the end bit should be twisted and tightened towards the tyre. This means it stops it being able to be pressed in which is what opens up the valve thus letting the air in/out. You also need to tighten it without pushing it in.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

I think your either screwing the valve the wrong way else it's faulty.

The little bit in the valve tip should be away from the tyre when pumping and towards the tyre when done.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
another thing worth doing is, after unscrewing the aforementioned end bit, to jiggle the valvue open and closed a few times. They can stick closed (tyre won't pump up) or stick open (air comes out as you remove pump). If pumping one tyre works and the other doesn't, the I'd just change the tube and be done. If both exhibit the problem, then it's more likely you're doing something we've not quite been able to help you diagnose

OP
OP
G

greenmachine

Hi Guys Ive had some success, now I know the mechanism of the valve, Ive managed to get the tyres up : ) so went out round the block. I'm rather heavy that's why I was trying to get some exercise, and the back tyre was a bit flat on the ground even though pumped up. can you be too heavy to cycle? is there a way to know if the tyres are hard enough for heavier people. thanks

si_c

Guru
You need to make sure that you have pumped up the tyres sufficiently within their limits. On the side of the tyre there will be a bit of text that says inflate to 65-85 psi, although the numbers may differ. A good pump should have a dial indicating the current pressure. If not I'd recommend getting a track pump which is possibly the best thing you can buy for your bike.

You need to make sure that you have pumped up the tyres sufficiently within their limits. On the side of the tyre there will be a bit of text that says inflate to 65-85 psi, although the numbers may differ. A good pump should have a dial indicating the current pressure. If not I'd recommend getting a track pump which is possibly the best thing you can buy for your bike.
Yes, track pump for proper pressure. My tyres are 100psi. Harder ride but quicker.

Top Bottom