Pump or Bottle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
What is better to carry, pump or a little gas bottle thingy, ive never used the bottles so dont know if they work, or are a gimmick.

I suppose both would be best but are thoese gas bottles any good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What is better to carry, pump or a little gas bottle thingy, ive never used the bottles so dont know if they work, or are a gimmick.

I carry both. Use the pump to get the tyre started then finish off with C02. They are certainly no gimmick.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

I have one of these and it beats those bottles hands down. I have got my new inner tube up to 130psi no problems and I am a weedy girl!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have one of these and it beats those bottles hands down. I have got my new inner tube up to 130psi no problems and I am a weedy girl!

Hmm, I have something similar but won't give up the gas bottle now I'm afraid. Hook it up, 130psi in seconds not minutes!!
whistling.gif
And I'm a weedy bloke!

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I carry both. I used to only carry a pump until I saw Topcat1 from this parish use a gas bottle to inflate my tyre on a rain soaked train station platform in a matter of seconds. From that moment on I was sold.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I carry both. I used to only carry a pump until I saw Topcat1 from this parish use a gas bottle to inflate my tyre on a rain soaked train station platform in a matter of seconds. From that moment on I was sold.

+1 it was seeing TC use the thing that converted me too. I can get about 100psi out of my pump and 130 out of the can. It's the difference between limping home and continuing a 100 miler.

Garz

Squat Member
I have not seen the gas method used before but it would definitely hold it's place during a sportive or if in a hurry. After a few practices though I bet it offers a nice lightweight bimble if you hate lugging extras around. So far im in the pump camp though.

Willo

I only carry Co2 cartridges, 2 or 3 usually. Have always found them easy to use roadside, a little squeeze to start off the tyre and then just release the cartridge once the tyre is on to get max pressure.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I only carry Co2 cartridges, 2 or 3 usually. Have always found them easy to use roadside, a little squeeze to start off the tyre and then just release the cartridge once the tyre is on to get max pressure.
Never rely on just a Co2 pump, the seal will eventually harden and crack due to the freezing cold gas. They also lose power in cold temperatures, both are well known issues among air gunners.

You should treat the lip of the cartridge with silicon oil or grease to protect the seal, or buy Crossman cartridges which are pre-treated.

Top Bottom