Pumping up road tyres..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
just bought a joe blow pump thinking buying once.
am i doing something wrong - i can't get the nozzle to lock onto the presta valve, when i swing the locking handle into the opp direction?????
no insructions with it and i have never used one before

HELP!!!!!
sounds like its set bfor schraeder valves ( the car tyre valves )
undo the ring where the valve goes change the bits inside then try it. . had a few guys in work do the same with hand pumps .

defy-one

sounds like its set bfor schraeder valves ( the car tyre valves )
undo the ring where the valve goes change the bits inside then try it. . had a few guys in work do the same with hand pumps .

Thanks mate - but i took the original back to Halfords and they changed it. All working now :smile:

So i now have the saddle bag,patches,levers,spare inner tube,cash and a flapjack.

What i need is a micro pump that will fit inside the saddle bag ????

defy-one

Any suggestions on small pumps for roadside repairs (that will fit inside the saddle bag). I have a footlong pump on my mtb that i attached to the Defy,but it spoiled the sleek lines.

defy-one

Just ordere the lezyne & gt85 from wiggle .
My son wants a road bike aswell so i figure i'll buy the best components to put in our shared saddle bag :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
don't pump them to 120psi - the ride will be awful - and unless you are particularly heavy, it won't be necessary. I'm 11st and for regular road riding, I usually have my tyres at around 80-90psi. Find a comfortable pressure which gives you the best compromise between ride quality and pinch protection. The number on the side of the tyre will be the maximum rated safe pressure - not the 'recommended' pressure...
I've always gone for a maximum of 110psi. Sometimes i might be about 5 to 10psi less but i've always thought that the hardest allowed for the tyre gives you more protection against puncturing. I'm 11 and a half stone so i might try 90psi. Do you not puncture more at a lesser pressure though, and is it a lot more comfy?

defy-one

I'm 14.5 stone and 5ft 11 ish (yes a heavy bstd)

I was always told pump them up really hard - mine are at 110 psi at the mo

Gary E

Veteran
I have a Topeak Race Rocket HPX on my road bike. It's quite sleek looking and pumps to 125 psi easily.

To the OP - If your road bike tyres felt quite hard at 4 BAR (58.8psi) then I would suggest the guage on the pump is not that accurate. The guages on those little hand pumps aren't that good. I bought a Topeak D2 Pressure guage and found that while the guage on my Joe Blow track pump was pretty accurate, the one on my old hand pump was pants!

I've always gone for a maximum of 110psi. Sometimes i might be about 5 to 10psi less but i've always thought that the hardest allowed for the tyre gives you more protection against puncturing. I'm 11 and a half stone so i might try 90psi. Do you not puncture more at a lesser pressure though, and is it a lot more comfy?

2 punctures in the last 4 years - one from a thorn, the other through hitting a pothole on a fast downhill. Was out on my winter bike today, with 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons at about 65psi - fantastically smooth ride. The right tyre pressure is always going to be a compromise and I wouldn't normally go as low as 65, but it was very wet - tbh I thought they were at 70 until I got home. Try a few different pressures and see how you get on. You might be suprised how low you can go... ;)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
b&y
2 punctures in the last 4 years - one from a thorn, the other through hitting a pothole on a fast downhill. Was out on my winter bike today, with 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons at about 65psi - fantastically smooth ride. The right tyre pressure is always going to be a compromise and I wouldn't normally go as low as 65, but it was very wet - tbh I thought they were at 70 until I got home. Try a few different pressures and see how you get on. You might be suprised how low you can go... ;)
Thanks b&y, i'll have a try at lower pressure. I hope it works and i'll have a less bone shaker ride maybe.:thumbsup:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I bought a track pump from Aldi, £10, bargain! It also has a gauge on it.

I used to use a hand pump on my tiresand would only get about 4 bar into them. Now with the track pump, I have pumped both tires up to 6 bar (about 80 psi).

The pump says that it could do 12 bar (max) which is 180 psi. But I think the tires would have burst by then. Also I dont have the strength to get it that high.

hoopdriver

Guru
I like the SKS rennkompressor track pump. Really well made and an old classic. As for pressure I go for 90-95 rear and 85-90 front. I've never had any problem with pinch flats or indeed any kind of flats. The huge pressures favoured by many riders are counterproductive in my opinion, and in the opinions of the R&D departments of a lot of tyre manufacturers. Most pros do not bother with the high pressures - 120 plus - favoured by a lot of weekend warriors.

Top Bottom