Pumping up road tyres..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

I used 110 psi yesterday. Will try at 80 psi today. Think pressure and tyres in general become a personal choice after a while. It's fun finding your own style :becool:

hoopdriver

Guru
There has been some interesting research on tyre pressures. Apparently anything over 110 actually becomes counterproductive unless you're on glassy smooth track as the texture of the road works against the hardness of the tyre.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I pump up to what the tyres and wheels are rated to. My wheels are rated upto 140 psi and my tyres are 87 psi to 116 psi, so I tend to put in 110 psi plus a little with a track pump at home. Out on the road when the fairy has made an appearance, I try to put at least 80psi in with the hand pump. It doesn't seem to have much of an adverse effect on my riding.

defy-one

That makes for interesting reading. Wondering if changing my tyres to 25c or even 28c will generate a comfortable yet faster time

there is a trade off - otherwise, we'd all be on 40mm rubber. The wider you go, the heavier you get, so the law of diminishing returns applies. 25c would probably be the optimum size for speed/comfort...

ushills

Veteran
there is a trade off - otherwise, we'd all be on 40mm rubber. The wider you go, the heavier you get, so the law of diminishing returns applies. 25c would probably be the optimum size for speed/comfort...
I presume that you have not read the research.

Suspension losses have a greater affect than weight, weight affects acceleration but not rolling resistance.

I presume that you have not read the research.

Suspension losses have a greater affect than weight, weight affects acceleration but not rolling resistance.

no - I haven't read the research and I'm not really interested, tbh. Not much point having a 'fast' tyre that won't climb or accelerate. Bear in mind this is the 'real' world, which is why optimum is such a good word to use in this context....

hoopdriver

Guru
Overall weight does matter for racers climbing mountains - not in terms of the usually quoted rotational mass, but simply because a lighter tyre means a lighter bike. Rotational mass affects acceleration, not your rolling resistence or your ability to maintain speed. As the research points out, the differences in tyre weight between, say, 23 and 25 and 28 even 32 are relatively minor and are of concern really only to elite riders on mountain stages. For the rest of us it makes no appreciable difference.

Top Bottom