Pumping up road tyres..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sellyb

I recently bought a road bike, and even though the mechanics built the bike, I didn't think the tyres felt inflated enough, as they were a little squidgy under hand. I also purchased a Toppeak mini dual DXG pump, which in theory has a gauge, showing you the pressures. However, on pumping up the tyres, the maximum I can get them to says 4 bars on the gauge, before air starts to force it's way back out, and it almost becomes impossible to pump them up anymore. Looking at the internet, this equates to 58 psi, but the tyres do feel quite solid now. Surely this can't be just 58, when the max on these tyres indicates 120? I was hoping to try and get them to 100 at least. Any ideas?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need a proper pump, i use a joe blow goes up to 120 no probs.

Pauluk

You may need a track pump to get to 120. I have a bontrager mini and I doubt that I would get to 120psi. I can get this from my track pump with ease

don't pump them to 120psi - the ride will be awful - and unless you are particularly heavy, it won't be necessary. I'm 11st and for regular road riding, I usually have my tyres at around 80-90psi. Find a comfortable pressure which gives you the best compromise between ride quality and pinch protection. The number on the side of the tyre will be the maximum rated safe pressure - not the 'recommended' pressure...

Selly, get yourself a track pump and keep the mini for on road emergencies (which will hopefully be limited). A decent track pump will pump up easily to 100psi, fwiw In the summer I pump my tyres to 95-100psi front and 105-110psi rear and in winter I run them lower and pump up less frequently; this seems to offer me the best balance of grip/rolling/p'ture/comfort for my 5'9'', 9.5stone frame.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was guessing 100 may be OK. I am 5'3.5" but new to road bikes?

yes, 100 will be ok. Though it may be worth experimenting with the psi to see what is comfortable for you.
Some people like a softer tyre, others like a harder tyre. (I ride at 120, Gaz rides at 140 iirc)

HovR

Über Member
Mini-Pumps like the one you have are primarily intended for you to take on your rides to inflate your tire in the event of a puncture - They will inflate the tire enough to get you home, but don't expect miracles!

At home a track pump is the best way to get your tires up to full pressure (without using an air compressor!).

Top Bottom