Pumping up tubeless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Just to update I topped them up again today and tried the technique above. Leave the valves at the bottom for a few minutes then spun them to the top and it worked much better

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I move the valve to the top, undo it and let a bit of air squirt out to clear it. Then inflate. If the valve does get too clogged I can just remove it to clean or replace. The sign of a clogged valve is when the gauge on your track pump keeps climbing or is slow to return to actual pressure.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Another tubeless question if anyone can help. I have decided to fit some tubes whilst I wait for some new tyres to arrive. With the tubeless tyre fitted would you run lower pressure still with a tube fitted or would you go back to normal tube and tyre pressure?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Normal. A tubeless set up facilitates lower pressures, with benefits to comfort and grip, but you don’t have to run soft. With a tube in you run the risk of a pinch puncture if you run too soft.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Going back to your original question, how old is your track pump?

I had a basic Halfords one which had given good service over many years.

But when I replaced it with a basic Giant one which was on offer from Edinburgh Bicycles, there was a marked difference in performance.

In t'other words, the Halfords pump had worn without actually failing.

As regards putting tubes into a tubeless tyre, that will be a messy job.

I would avoid doing it unless I really had to.

Unless you fully clean the inside of the tyre, some of the sealant will get onto the tube.

That doesn't matter - until you have to fix a puncture at the roadside.

No problem if you have a spare tube to put in.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

My pump is fine, I just had a shop fit 2 tubes into my tyres and it pumps them up fine as expected.
I use quite high pressures being 90+ kg think I used to run about 95-100 on my tubes and about 80-85psi tubeless. Now being the tubeless tyres have a thicker tougher compound I didn’t know whether they would be ok around the same lower pressures

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm in danger of losing track, but we seem to be talking about 80-100psi in tubed and tubeless tyres.

Any combination of the above would be fine, so it's really all down to rider preference.

For what it's worth, I believe most roadies who run tubed at 100psi tend to drop by about 20psi for tubeless.

What width of tyres are you using?

As a general point, the wider the tyre, the lower the pressure.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I'm in danger of losing track, but we seem to be talking about 80-100psi in tubed and tubeless tyres.

Any combination of the above would be fine, so it's really all down to rider preference.

For what it's worth, I believe most roadies who run tubed at 100psi tend to drop by about 20psi for tubeless.

What width of tyres are you using?

As a general point, the wider the tyre, the lower the pressure.

I’m running 28mm tyres.
My question was about now I am running tubes but inside tubeless tyres. With the tubeless tyres being stiffer than the normal tyres could you run lower pressure still for the same benefits but just using tubes

YellowV2

Veteran
If you are using tubeless tyres with tubes in, you treat them as normal clincher tyres and run at your normal pressure.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom