Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Are there any in the £20 to £30 price bracket that can reliably and consistently go up to 120psi?

My track pump will do 80 (and on a good day 90ish) but I did only pay £12 for it. I reckon my mini-pumps are good for somewhere between 40 and 60. All fine for the kids bikes, and the missus' bike (and my hybrid, for that matter) but less than satisfactory for my road bike.

Ideally I'd like a mini-pump (or at least a carryable pump - I've no pegs for a traditional pump on my frame, but could whack it in a rucksack, I guess) that can get close to 100 (if it can actually do 120, so much the better) and a track pump that can do 120 with sufficient ease that it could go higher if need be. I quite fancy the topeak mini morph for the mini-pump, but I'm getting a bit fed up of buying them only to find out that they stop short of the pressure I need - recommendations/your experiences much appreciated.

Brock

A Cyclaire or Topeak mini morph seem to be the best options. Have you seen this thread on the subject?

girofan

:biggrin: C+ did a pump test in their last edition, October. The Zefal and Blackburn came out top for frame fitting pumps. Both will reach 120psi and you can choose a size to fit your frame. :biggrin:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Brock said:
A Cyclaire or Topeak mini morph seem to be the best options. Have you seen this thread on the subject?

I'd skimmed it when it first appeared - I'd written the Cyclaire off because of something I read about it overheating. Thinking more on it though, the other bikes I have don't need the pressure it can provide, so it'd only ever be used on one set of tyres, which probably makes that less of an issue.

The road morph appeals because we could all go out en famille and it could do everyone's tyres without the overheating problem of the cyclaire (if need be) and because I've bought so many (duff) mini pumps that every bike has a bracket to carry one. Assuming that it actually goes to the pressure it says it can, which has been the problem with every other pump I've bought so far.

The Zefal (thanks for the info Girofan) appeals to me because of it's sheer old skoolishness, I think (no gauge, no novel technology) although I'd almost certainly need to pick up a separate gauge or a half decent track pump as well if I went for one.

I guess head says Cyclaire, heart says Zefal HPX :biggrin:

alfablue

I haven't found the Cyclaire overheating, and haven't heard of this either, it is very good (get teh Cyclaire Plus version), however the Road Morph is also exclellent, I have both, can't quite decide which is best, but they are both better than any other pumps I have used.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've got one of these for on the bike "just in case", with a wrench force track pump for at home.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Brock said:
Think we're getting confused between the 'road morph' and 'mini morph'.. :biggrin:

Quite possible, seeing as it (the mini morph) seems to get a good review On BikeRadar too...

Arg. I think the Cyclaire is still in the lead at the moment because of the lack of effort required in achieving decent pressure and the possibility of not needing a track pump too.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Righto - local EBC had the Cyclaire for a mere £19.95, including carry case. As this was 3 quid less than everywhere else, I felt it would be rude not to buy one.

I've given it a whirl on the road bike tonight - tyres went up to 110 with no bother at all, and would have gone to 120, I've no doubt. I hope the gauge on the thing is accurate, because it read under that of the cheapo track pump by something like 10-20 psi...

Carry case is quite a neat design, attaches nicely to the bike, and accommodates my tyre levers and a repair kit very well, thank you.

Brock

Glad you're pleased with it. The gauge on the cyclaire certainly seems more business like and trustworthy than those little half arsed things they put in mini pumps. I still think you should do yourself a favour and get a good track pump for home base though. Joe blow sport is a joy.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Brock said:
I still think you should do yourself a favour and get a good track pump for home base though. Joe blow sport is a joy.

Thanks for the recommendation Brock - this one? I do like having a track pump (or at least, I did, until I realised mine was over reporting the pressure achieved :/) Can I ask what the stroke's like after 60-80ish PSI? (On the Vento, it becomes nigh on impossible to push the lever down - it then leaks the air out of the barrel).

I may ask Santa for one of those, and the cyclaire should be ok 'til then.

Brock

John the Monkey said:
Thanks for the recommendation Brock - this one? I do like having a track pump (or at least, I did, until I realised mine was over reporting the pressure achieved :/) Can I ask what the stroke's like after 60-80ish PSI? (On the Vento, it becomes nigh on impossible to push the lever down - it then leaks the air out of the barrel).
Actually mine looks like a slightly different model, here.
Yes it strokes beautifully right up to 120 PSI, and presumably beyond, no sign of leak or strain. Well worth paying a few extra notes for a quality track pump that you'll use for years I reckon. It'll even fit down your chimney!

Top Bottom