Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I'm looking for some pumps. I need one track pump and one for on the bike. It needs to do at least 125PSI.
Any ideas on decent ones. About £35-ish to spend on both of them, might go abit higher depending on the amount of money i have and what tips i get from my paper round.

Cheers

Joe

Joe24 said:
I'm looking for some pumps. I need one track pump and one for on the bike. It needs to do at least 125PSI.
Any ideas on decent ones. About £35-ish to spend on both of them, might go abit higher depending on the amount of money i have and what tips i get from my paper round.

Cheers

Joe

For a good track pump you'll be looking at least £35 i know ive said it before but have a look at the bleckburn bumps as they are good and have a life time warranty on them.

Joe24 said:

For the track pump, I have had no problems with the Specialized Air Tool Sport Pump. The gauge goes right up to 160psi (not that I have had call to go past 130!)

I use a mini-pump on the road, but I don't think I have got anywhere near 125psi when using it. Still, I could pump more than enough air in to get me home in comfort.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
For the on bike one, I can't recommend the Topeak Road Morph G highly enough - excellent, and will meet your pressure requirements easily. I paid about £20 for mine from an ebay seller called "Racing2wheels" - excellent service from her too.

Realistically, a track pump that will do 120+ is going to cost you upwards of £25 - cheaper ones are generally poo, as I found out to my cost. If money's tight, the topeak is good enough to tide you over 'til you have the cash for the track pump, I reckon.

kyuss

Veteran
Edinburgh Bicycle Centre own brand track pumps are pretty good. I've been using this one for the past 3 years and it's never let me down. They do this cheaper one as well, which might leave a bit more in your budget for a better pump on the bike.

You could always blow your budget on a Topeak Road Morph which is a mix of both track and frame pump. Never used one personally but I've only ever heard good things about them.

EDIT: I see John the Monkey beat me to it in recommending the Road Morph

monnet

Guru
Track pump: Blackburn TPS2 (about £25-£30). Very reliable,well made, never heard anything bad about Blackburn pumps. By contrast I know of several cases of Joe Blow pumps (made by Topeak) being sent back to the place of purchase due to faults, breaking etc.
Most mini pumps are much of a muchness- they're there to put enough air in to get you home. I've got a Specialized FWIW, but I'd be equally happy with a Blackburn.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
For an on-the bike pump, you will need a proper frame-fit pump for anything other than get-you-home. Using a mini-pump, if you can get past about 60psi, it takes forever.
Frame-fit pumps are Zefal/Truflo HPx, Topeak Road MasterBlaster or the (expensive) Blackburn Carbon Fibre pump

All 3 come in different sizes according to your bike frame size and whether you mount it seat tube/top tube/seatstay. The longer the better (providing it fits). If your frame has no braze-on mounts, it's easiest down the seat tube instead of a 2nd bottle cage.

bonj2

Joe24 said:

Cheers

Joe

a tip - send them ALL a christmas card

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
a tip - send them ALL a christmas card

Already do that. I got about £40 last year, but there are lots of people that have moved away so theres less papers.

I did think about getting a really good one just for the bike, but i have seen posts of the pumps falling off. Will they fall off the bike easily?

The Topeak Road Morph G looks good, i will see if my LBS has one in and see how much it is.

Cheers

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Joe24 said:
The Topeak Road Morph G looks good, i will see if my LBS has one in and see how much it is.

Going rate seems to be £30 - the bracket does come with a (good) velcro strap to secure the pump on the bike (strap threads through the back of the bracket). I have mine mounted on the seat tube, with the bottom resting where it meets the down tube above the BB shell, and no problems so far, even going over the potholes on the daily commute. (I do occasionally knock pump and bracket with my elbow when I shoulder the bike to carry it up/down the stairs at Crewe station though)

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Already do that. I got about £40 last year, but there are lots of people that have moved away so theres less papers.

I did think about getting a really good one just for the bike, but i have seen posts of the pumps falling off. Will they fall off the bike easily?

Cheers

no, not really, certainly not on a road bike (probably struggle to knock it off even on a mtb). Well not if you use the bracket that came with the pump and not that's meant one for another pump.
I've had an 'innovations roadair' for ages which was really good until recently when the handle came off it. Not while i was using it though, it's just screw-on and gradually worked its way loose. But i liked it 'cos it was sleek, looked good, and locked on quite well despite not needing a lever, and was quite smooth and easy to use.
I was forced to get a cheapo pump from wilkos for a fiver today, i've got two of them now so you can have one if you like if you send me an sae. It's nowt special, (probably struggle to do 125 psi with it) but it'll get your bike rideable again till you get home and can pump 'em up more with the track pump.
FWIW, at home instead of a track pump i use a battery powered pump (lazy man's pump)

sloe

I've got the Topeak masterblaster. Very good but the cap unscrewd off the head somewhere so that's £4 off Chain Reaction to replace. Moral: keep the head nipped up tight.

Fitting on the bike is v secure.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
[q]For a good track pump you'll be looking at least £35[/q]

hmm and here`s me with my £3 Aldi job from the summer which I have to say is flippen superb, how long it may last well we will see but so far its not bad !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2 good ones for you...

Decathlon Clever 900 - Alloy construction, can double as a mini track pump, includes a gauge - bit heavy, but will pump up mtb and road tyres to high pressure - about £15.

Blackburn Carbon Wrap - got mine as a freebee - retail about £30 - again very good.

Both fit in back pocked with a few inches showing. Include bottle boss mounts if wanted.

Top Bottom