Punc**** avoidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jimheaney57

jimheaney57

Crankarm said:
That's not nice :blush: ........

I was being nice:laugh: If I had told her what I was really thinking it would have been different:laugh: My bike is currently in the garage with a soft wheel:angry: That's happened the last 2 times I've been out on it. How many times will I have to change tubes / fix holes in tubes while I wait until Xmas for my new tyres? Bugger that, she can buy me a crappy jumper as usual, I'm buying myself the new tyres this week:smile: I was sensible enough not to tell her I needed overshoes as well. My toes where freezing when I was out on Sunday. Can't wait till Xmas for those either.

They not be the cheapest option, but the Conti 4 season seem to be the ones to go for. My experience tells me that you pay for what you get so in this case the priority is to keep air in the tyres to keep me cycling and if these do that then so be it, I'll happily spend the money.

Thanks again for all the help.

PK99

Legendary Member
jimheaney57 said:
Anyway I've been getting a lot of punc***** and it's really got me pissed off. I was out yesterday and had done over 50 miles when the wheel started to go soft. I had only a few miles to go and the tyre was taking air so I stopped every mile or so till I got home.

As others say, it's down to tyre choice.

On my mtb I have worn out 3 sets of Specialized armadillos and never had a puncture.

Bought a tricross with Borough as supplied, 3 punctures in 300 miles! Changed to Schwalbe marathons and have had two in 5000 (both my fault for failing to check for tiny flints working their way trhough over time)

davidg

I commute in London and was getting shedloads of punctures....around one a week in the rear...

I got the armadillo tyre for the rear which helped but I still got the odd puncture and there was never anything in the tyre to help would out where it was when changing...I finally lined the tyre with some tape (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/slime/tyre-liner-700c-road-ec006835) and it has been fine ever since....

I am sure there are lots of "rolling" arguments etc plus weight, but rarely getting punctures now is king!

Tynan

Veteran
horses for courses init, people trundling along happily aren't going to care about a tyre being slow or heavy

those 4 seasons look triff but £39!

another £15 Lugano for me, and that's from the pricy LBS, I think they're to be had for £10 online

edit!
Velokit Price £22.94 for a pair with free delivery, cor!

potsy

Rambler
Just pulled a decent sized piece of glass out of the 4seasons tyre,am pretty sure that it would have gone through most tyres,has left a pretty large gash now though,filled it with super-glue as a temp measure will keep an eye on it.

AlanW

Guru
Tynan said:
edit!
Velokit Price £22.94 for a pair with free delivery, cor!

That is bloody cheap, but a quick look on their site states 28mm only. ;)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use Panaracer wotsits or Conti Gatorskins, and I look where I'm going. One puncture this year, with a worn tyre. The tyres even coped with the crud and hedge-cutting filled lanes of Dartmoor.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Some one may have already suggested this ........

Are your tyres inflated correctly i know someone who does not even know what pressure he has and he is always getting punctures, of the pinch variety i think.

I have bog standard tyres and some slime inner tubes atm , till the x mas fairy comes and dollops me with some cash for new tyres. I have been ok so far.

Looking at these ....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20418

ASC1951

Guru
PK99 said:
As others say, it's down to tyre choice.
That may not be the only reason.

I do 3-4000 miles a year (low by the standards of some on here) and generally get round with only two or three punctures; for instance, I haven't had a puncture out on the road in 2009. I use race slicks of various sorts or mid-price Vittorios, which are fairly lightweight tyres.

What I do make sure of, though, is:-
- I don't patch tubes. I just get basic £2.99 jobs and replace them
- they are always track-pumped up to 100-110 psi
- I use good rim tape
- I check the tyres for glass splinters before I go out and at cafe stops
- I avoid bits of road that aren't swept by traffic, so I keep well out of the gutter and I hardly ever use cycle lanes

OP
OP
jimheaney57

jimheaney57

My rims are Alex DC-19's, tyres I currently have on are 700 x 28c.

Can these rims take a 700 x 25 tyre or do I need to stick with a 28?

Top Bottom