Puncture free Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tannus now offer their solid tyres in Brompton size.

The tyres in bigger sizes have been favourably reviewed on here and elsewhere.

A puncture on a Brompton is more of a nuisance than on an ordinary bike.

I wonder how many people carry a spanner for the axle, and six speeds in particular can be a fiddle to put back together.

The Tannus tyres are fifty quid a pop, about twice the price of Marathon Pluses, but worth it for hassle free commuting, although perhaps not for occasional leisure use.

http://www.nipnip.co.uk/catalog/pro...ke-16-x-1-25-black-solid-puncture-proof-tyre/

Blurb

Über Member
They are lighter than my Marathon Pluses, but the cost, fitting, and the fact that I ride through London mostly where you're never very far from a tube/taxi/minicab/bus mean I probably won't be partaking. I can see a market for them though, Boris Bikes maybe (?)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
They are truly horrible to ride on. I was intending to do a few miles to test them and had to hand it back after half a mile. Ok in a straight line, but lean the bike over to corner and it squirms like crazy. I'll stick with Marathon Plus and an average of one puncture every 2000 miles.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Given the level of protection Marathons and marathon pluses give then I can't see many going for these if the ride / handling is crap.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given the level of protection Marathons and marathon pluses give then I can't see many going for these if the ride / handling is crap.

Agreed.

I wonder if @Trikeman could confirm if it was the new Tannus tyres he tried and if it was on a Brompton.

The tyres appear to work well in other sizes, so I'm surprised they are quite so poor on a Brommie.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yep, the new (one rubber type fits all) type, and on a Brompton. They claim the feel is equivalent to 100psi, which definitely isn't true, but they didn't feel too bad in a straight line. For cornering, though, they just feel dreadful.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
That's a shame. I might've been tempted to try them. Even Marathon+ and slime doesn't cope with some of the rubbish on the cycle paths I ride.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's a shame. I might've been tempted to try them. Even Marathon+ and slime doesn't cope with some of the rubbish on the cycle paths I ride.

Both my Brommie punctures have been on paths not so far from you.

One was in Wallsend, where the natives have what might be called a robustly inquisitive attitude to strangers on funny shaped bicycles.

I called a taxi for a prompt escape.

The driver, who I don't think grasped I had a puncture, said I was mad to stop there.

Was born in Wallsend, great place as far as the average urban wasteland goes. Avoid the metro train late at night though,
and the tyne pedestrian tunnel is not for the faint hearted after sunset.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Both my Brommie punctures have been on paths not so far from you.

One was in Wallsend, where the natives have what might be called a robustly inquisitive attitude to strangers on funny shaped bicycles.

I called a taxi for a prompt escape.

The driver, who I don't think grasped I had a puncture, said I was mad to stop there.

I had some entertaining times in that neck of the woods as a teenager in the mid 80s with a Midlands(*) accent.

(*) Or in Novocastrian parlance of the time yousoundlikeaf**kincockneypoof

Top Bottom