Puncture on rim side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saf

Hello, I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a little advice on this. I have a bike with Alexrim rims and the inner tube has punctued on the rim side rather than the road surface side if that makes sense.

I had the tyre taken off and took off the tyre and noticed that there was also another puncture that had been repaired, again on the rim side where a spoke ends. The new pucture was also where a spoke ends. As it's my brothers bike he told me that when he used to use it it was a common problem that he'd have a fair few puctures due to the rim.

I just wanted to ask if this is a common occurance or if there's likely something that needs adjusting or doing to prevent it? I've tried placing tape all along the inner side of the rim to see if that cushions it but that doesn't seem to help (there was also a tape before).

Or should I just buy new rims?

BIGSESAL

Check that the walls on the inner side of the rims aren't sharp. If they are try to file them down slightly.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've a pair of 105 wheels for the Kirk (don't ask) and the (ridiculous) cutouts for the spokes draw Velox tape through, causing a puncture. I've resorted to two layers of rim tape - one heavy guage MTB plastic and one cloth. Not at all satisfactory, but there you have it...

Top Bottom