Puncture Proof goo/anti puncture tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dashanova

Do you use any puncture proof goo? Or anti puncture tyres?
What do you think of it?
What one do you use?

I've not got much experience of them, although my new e bike was fitted with some goo stuff inside the tube.
I got a flat one day and the tyre went down a bit, but not all the way flat (the goo stopped it), so i could still cycle home with it).

Once home i repaired the tyre...Got covered in goo (first time).

Not sure what I think of them.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Fenwick's No-Tubes, been using it in my cross bike/winter bike for over 2 years, brilliant stuff. Its originally designed to seal tyres to the rims to make them tubeless but you can put it inside your inner tube via the valve which is how I use it. Not cheap at £20 for the bottle and kit but beats flats. You can actually still puncture, idea is that as air leaves the hole, the goo will seal it. Then all you do is put some air back in and away you go.

screenman

Legendary Member
Stans on the tubeless and slime on the tubed. Yes it does work on the types of puncture we get around this area, which is mainly hedge cuttings.

What I would say is every time I have stopped and helped somebody with a puncture I have checked their other tyre and found it under inflated. This would lead me to think that a lot of punctures are helped along by the tyre being under inflated.

I made the mistake of using "Slime" when it first came out, any reasonable size hole and the slime prevents a puncture patch from adhering.

And if you ever release a valve to remove a wheel..........

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Puncture resistant tyres for me. I have Conti TourRide on the knockabout bike on which I have picked up 1 slow puncture in the last 3500 miles and Schwalbe Marathon (standard, not plus) on the main bike which has had no punctures and done about the same mileage since fitting.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have only been using Slime type stuff for about 25 years, maybe not long enough to encounter some of the problems you guys have.

Just think before it got that puncture that was too big to repair the sealant might have done 10 others.

screenman

Legendary Member
2797854 said:
If you have no little QR lever on the brake to open it up.
Blimey, what sort of bike would not have that on?

Honestly I have never had a problem letting air out of the tube when using a sealant, valve at the top of course and allow a few seconds for the sealant to settle.

screenman

Legendary Member
That is really clutching at straws now.

sreten

Do you use any puncture proof goo? Or anti puncture tyres?
What do you think of it? What one do you use?

Hi,

Puncture protected tyres. No punctures in nearly a year. One failed valve on a cheap innertube.
YMMV but PP tyres can work for years with very little maintenance, not so with Goo.
Which is best depends very much on the context of typical use, for me its PP tyres.

rgds, sreten.

Replaced and upgraded the very cheap tyres on both my budget bikes.
First thing (except for an awful saddle) to do on any budget bicycle.
Three Schwalbe and a Michelin.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
2798554 said:
People need to justify not using slime?

Not at all, I have just never in 40 years of cycling come across a brake that did not have some sort of quick release, I am lucky that you have educated me. Personally I would have had them set up so that you can just wind them out a bit, but there you go.

Just that as one persons says Slime is not a good product due to some problems he or she may have had with it, I was just posting how good it really is.

You know what these internet myths are like, I find a lot of time when a product like this is being slammed it is more down to people either not using it properly or expecting it too do something it was not designed for. Like in this case, somebody did not know how to let air out of a tube with slime in it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use like a stop flat tire liner. Effective and reusable. Unlike slime. Although I like some of their other products, like colored anodized valve caps and the little pressure gauge.

screenman

Legendary Member
2798927 said:
That is the intelligent way. The problem comes when you take the wheel out with flat tyre, fix it, pump it up, and then find it doesn't fit back.
Is this not the time that you let a little air out?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For me the slime does not really work for road bike tyre pressures as it just gets blown out the hole to quick to seal it effectively and it gunks up the valves .

screenman

Legendary Member
Although some of you are saying it does not work outside of its ability, I have found through many years of experience it does indeed work.

In the case above I have had that happen once, however once the pressure had dropped a fair bit I was able to pump the tyre up and carry on with the ride.

Can I ask, how many of you that do not like Slime like sealants use tubeless tyres.

Last edited:
Top Bottom