Puncture proof tyres, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I didn't realize that. They only make tyres with puncture protection for my wheel size.

Interesting. What size is that?

For road bikes in 700c, the big brands, such as Schwalbe, Continental, Vittoria all make a wide variety of tyres, from basic very cheap tyres, through to high level race tyres, some with high levels of puncture protection, others with very low.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As @Cycleops mentioned, Marathon Pluses are a bit difficult to fit the first time. Spa Cycles made a brief clip of how to fit them and it's well worth a look.

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4[/media]

Gaaaaargghhh!

Just had my first puncture on my own Motus with Mitas tyres, couldn't repair either as my pump was either broken or useless.

Still going to stick with these tyres for now but will buy and test a better pump. Probably a mini stand or frame pump as my mini pump i have I've read a review quoting 200+ strokes to get to 25psi, no thanks!

For info, both our Motus bikes have factory-fitted Gaadi tubes, replaceable without removing the wheels. Both are Nexus 7 IGH. Raleigh
perhaps use standard tyres on derailleur versions as they have QR.

That said, you still need a pump that works! Get a decent mini pump for the bike, and a track pump for home. I have Schrader valves, so a short pump with the mini pump on the road will get me to a filling station with an air line. Or carry a little converter if you have Presta.

Last edited:
For info, both our Motus bikes have factory-fitted Gaadi tubes, replaceable without removing the wheels. Both are Nexus 7 IGH. Raleigh
Perhaps use standard tyres on derailleur versions as they have QR.

That said, you still need a pump that works! Get a decent mini pump for the bike, and a track pump for home. I have Schrader valves, so a short pump with the mini pump on the road will get me to a filling station with an air line. Or carry a little converter if you have Presta.

I'll have to look those up. The tyres are puncture resistant but not as good as my old tyres. I did swap the inner tubes to Presta as my Schraeder pump wasn't working, should have checked the Presta one too!

Track pump I have at home, found and repaired the hole in minutes whereas at the roadside I couldn't get enough air into the tyre fast enough to find the hole. I like the look of mini stand pumps like these as I always have a bag with me carrying is not an issue, gonna do some research.

Lezyne Digital Micro Floor Drive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074CQSCML?linkCode=gs2&tag=gearjuk-21

LifeLine Motion Floor Mount Mini Pump
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-motion-floor-mount-mini-pump/rp-prod155446

Last edited:
Both those pumps look good but I think I'd be spending £12.99, not £80.73! I have a full-size and well-made Lifeline track pump, which is still fantastic after 5 years.

Do you not carry a spare tube to put on without messing round at the roadside (nearly always raining and getting dark of course..), then fix the punctured one at home?

If you can find the hole in the tube at the roadside then you know where the hole is on the tyre. If you don't see it then a quick inspection of the tyre externally and a feel with the finger internally is enough to pretty much guarantee that there is not a flint or thorn lurking in the tyre, ready to puncture the fresh tube.

Both those pumps look good but I think I'd be spending £12.99, not £80.73! I have a full-size and well-made Lifeline track pump, which is still fantastic after 5 years.

Do you not carry a spare tube to put on without messing round at the roadside (nearly always raining and getting dark of course..), then fix the punctured one at home?

If you can find the hole in the tube at the roadside then you know where the hole is on the tyre. If you don't see it then a quick inspection of the tyre externally and a feel with the finger internally is enough to pretty much guarantee that there is not a flint or thorn lurking in the tyre, ready to puncture the fresh tube.

Me too, though the LifeLine one has my suspicions up as its a LifeLine pump that let me down today. And yeah normally a spare tube is carried, lessons learnt and all that.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Interesting. What size is that?

For road bikes in 700c, the big brands, such as Schwalbe, Continental, Vittoria all make a wide variety of tyres, from basic very cheap tyres, through to high level race tyres, some with high levels of puncture protection, others with very low.

650A

froze

Über Member
As you know I’m electrifying my Claude Butler Hybrid and I thought whilst I’m at it replace the old tyres?
Three questions, are puncture proof tyres any good?
Electric bicycles, do they need a grippy tread on the motor wheel?
Where’s the best place to purchase tyres from, any recommendations?

While the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is the most flat-resistant tire on the market, Schwalbe says flat-proof, but I have my doubts about that, anyway, it is a heavier tire requiring more watts in the rolling resistance which means your battery won't last as long. And they're capable of going 8,000 to 10,000 miles.

Never fear, Schwalbe to the rescue. They have another tire called the Amotion, this tire has the least rolling resistance of any E-Bike tire currently on the market by a long shot! Also, its flat resistance is very high, not as high as the Marathon Plus but darn near it. These tires are 6,000-to-8,000-mile tire. I use these tires on my touring bike due to their low rolling resistance, high flat resistance, and long mileage. So far, I have not had one flat, and I ride in the rain a lot too. I did cheat in the flat defense though, I did install a pair of Rhinodillos flat liners, only because I don't want to be fooling around with flats on a loaded bike. Having said that, after 3,800 miles on those tires there are no cuts or holes on the tread, so nothing has penetrated the tire. You could install the Rhinodillos but I don't see the point of doing so if you're not riding past your battery limit.

Top Bottom