Puncture protect tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djh22

Is there any way I can tell whether my Giant Escape 3 (2014) has puncture protect tyres ? Are the tyres marked as such in any way ?
Some websites show that the Giant Escape 3 has puncture protect tyres and some others don't.
Thanks.

ScotiaLass

Guru
It will usually say on the side wall of the tyre.
Tredz says: Tyres: Giant S-X3 puncture protect 700x32mm Front Giant S-X3 puncture protect 700x32mm Rear

OP
OP
D

djh22

Thanks ScotiaLass for the quick reply. Yea that's what I would have thought but I can't see anything on the tyre, yet as you say a lot of websites say that they are puncture protect.

Enis Baysal

Thanks ScotiaLass for the quick reply. Yea that's what I would have thought but I can't see anything on the tyre, yet as you say a lot of websites say that they are puncture protect.
I thought 'puncture proof' tyres r thicker than regular tyres? Assuming you have a road bike/hybrid, im guessing it would be alot more different than mtb tyres.
As I said just a guess xD

OP
OP
D

djh22

My understanding is that puncture proof tyres have an extra layer of rubber that should prevent anything sbout the size of a drawing pin getting through to the tube.
I'm just getting back to cycling after about 30 years so a lot of this stuff is new to me,i'm loving it though.
Thanks for the replies guys,i guess i'll just have to ride with my fingers crossed, lol.
Del.

The best form of puncture protection is correct tyre pressure.

If you don't have one get a track pump, then check your pressures regularly and keep them topped up.

Tyres can, and do help, but even excellent PP tyres like Conti Gatorskins or 4 Seasons will be very susceptible to flats if they're run at too low a pressure.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My puncture resistant tyres have had loads of punctures!
How can you stop tacks, long thorns and shards of glass?
Look where you're riding plus ride further from the kerb.

OP
OP
D

djh22

Lol @benb,
and Giant S-X3 700x32mm @Booyaa as stated by ScotiaLass above.
I'm taking it that they are not puncture protect tyres as the tyres are not marked as such.

Cheers all.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@djh22, just remember that no tyres are puncture-proof***, so I suggest you become familiar with changing a tube if you're not already.

*** No, not even Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom