Puncture protect tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
It seems like I have to choose between less punctures but slower and slippy in the wet, or punctures and better speeds and grip!
My problem is that in the winter when I often ride in the wet, thorns and other sharp debris are hidden in the wet leaves. Then, if I have a puncture it's too cold to hang around trying to change an inner tube and my hands don't function either.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Marathon Plus aren't the only tyre though and quite a few come with some level of puncture protection, the Nimbus Flakjackets that came with the Sirrus were good until I wore them out and then started to puncture. They were fine in the wet, but were probably still quite heavy and therefore slower than some.

hoopdriver

Guru
It seems like I have to choose between less punctures but slower and slippy in the wet, or punctures and better speeds and grip!
My problem is that in the winter when I often ride in the wet, thorns and other sharp debris are hidden in the wet leaves. Then, if I have a puncture it's too cold to hang around trying to change an inner tube and my hands don't function either.
Truly, they are not slippery in the wet. I ride thousands of miles, every winter, right through the winter on them with nary a falter. They are the go-to tyre in my winter bike, and believe me I out in the miles. The only time I have ever slipped was on a pair of Panaracer Paselas. Not once have I slipped on the M+.

I am sure there are people who have slipped on them, just as there are the odd few who get punctures, but this is hardly a regular characteristic of the tyre. You'll find far more riders whose experiences mirror my own.

Bodhbh

Guru
Truly, they are not slippery in the wet. I ride thousands of miles, every winter, right through the winter on them with nary a falter. They are the go-to tyre in my winter bike, and believe me I out in the miles. The only time I have ever slipped was on a pair of Panaracer Paselas. Not once have I slipped on the M+.

I am sure there are people who have slipped on them, just as there are the odd few who get punctures, but this is hardly a regular characteristic of the tyre. You'll find far more riders whose experiences mirror my own.

I must have done 15k miles at least on one pair of XRs and some more on another, which are the same compound (I got sick of trying to wear the first pair out, so sold them). They are a bit slippy in the wet - the back wheel would lock up b4 other tyres - but not so much i'd suggest not using them for the job they do if you want that level of puncture proofness.

/edit - the slippiness does come up quite regularly if u google it.

Top Bottom