Puncture, Puncture, Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

I have re - pumped the tyre up at 4:45pm, and it is still pumped up how it was. I went for a test ride round the block and all seems fine. So that's about 5hrs it's been pumped up. What do you think. Should i still take it into halfords tommorow or just leave it?
If it was a slow puncture how long would it stay up for, untill it goes flat again?

DRM

Guru
How long is a piece of string, it could be flat in an hour, maybe soft overnight, I would learn to remove the wheels, then tyres, check the tyres for sharp things and how to patch a tube, then reassemble the lot, have a look for Park Tool and GCN how to’s on you tube.

itboffin

Guru
Punctures are a funny one, when I first started commuting by bike 34 miles a day in my first year I had 50 so I started searching and trying different tyres eventually I found Rubino pros and now schwalbe pro ones worked best for me, I don’t want to jinx myself but I maybe get 1-2 a year now, although I no longer commute I still do pretty high annual mileage on terrible country roads, what I have done is lowered my tyre pressures loads and use thicker cheaper inner tubes

weareHKR

Hang on tho... isn't the point of having slime tubes so they self seal in case of a puncture?
So why does it need a patch... 🤔

weareHKR

tubeless that is all :whistle:
Ha yes, my bad! I see the thread got sidetracked with someone else discussing slime tubes... :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Punctures are a funny one, when I first started commuting by bike 34 miles a day in my first year I had 50 so I started searching and trying different tyres eventually I found Rubino pros and now schwalbe pro ones worked best for me, I don’t want to jinx myself but I maybe get 1-2 a year now, although I no longer commute I still do pretty high annual mileage on terrible country roads, what I have done is lowered my tyre pressures loads and use thicker cheaper inner tubes
The OP has a mountain bike - those might be road tyres?

I always seem to get punctures in 2s and 3s. I can go months without getting one then after fixing it I get another.
I really do check the tyre before refitting the tube but on occasions miss a tiny thorn such as now. I've finally fixed the puncture after 3 tries. That my record for one tiny thorn.:blush:

itboffin

Guru
The OP has a mountain bike - those might be road tyres?

Nope my first commuter was a Halford BSO and then a Ridgeback storm hybrid come MTB then a Trek road bike, oh and then a 1980s steel turned into a single speed (that hurt) so i've been through a lot of combos of bike types and tyres. In all there forms Conti tyres have hands down been the worse for punctures, schwalbe the best.

Top Bottom