Punctured tub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Don't worry about getting all the old glue off as

a) you'll never do it
and
b) it doesn't really matter anyway

Depending on how liberal the previous user was with the glue brush, just remove as much as you can and put new glue over the top..

ayceejay

Guru
If it is lumpy remove it with white spirit or acetone (tate?) if smooth leave it.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was just about to say that swapping a tub over on the road is a lot easier than changing a clincher tube BUT once a clincher is done its done . I've just seen what I have to do to remount this tub :eek:

ayceejay

Guru
Be warned that continental rim cement is not as strong as some (Panaracer for instance) and you won't need as much glue as in this video especially if tyre and rim have been glued before.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have conti cement . I had to go to four bike shops to find some . So ive cleaned the rim but the tyre still has glue on it . Do I prime the rim a couple of times and then glue it on ? I was thinking of just taking it to my LBS and asking them to do it but I may aswell give it a go . My next TT isn't until the middle of next week .

Citius

I was just about to say that swapping a tub over on the road is a lot easier than changing a clincher tube BUT once a clincher is done its done . I've just seen what I have to do to remount this tub :eek:

Out on the road, just pull the old tub off and fit the replacement. Once they're on and inflated, you are going to have to be cornering seriously hard for it to it to come unseated. Save the proper fitment for when you get home.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That's what I am saying . Out on the road it a very easy replacement but doing it properly when you get home is a chore . Then again the first layer of glue went on in about a minute and now its drying so that's not a hassle . I'll update as I go I guess .
So far I'm not put off by tubs .

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That's what I am saying . Out on the road it a very easy replacement but doing it properly when you get home is a chore . Then again the first layer of glue went on in about a minute and now its drying so that's not a hassle . I'll update as I go I guess .
Remove clincher tube, put in new,pump up, job done.....corner however you want and nothing more to do when you get home

Will stick with clinchers

Citius

It's certainly a chore compared to clinchers. There's lots of reasons to ride tubs, but ease of fitment ain't one of them. I used to save mine for racing.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Remove clincher tube, put in new,pump up, job done.....corner however you want and nothing more to do when you get home

Will stick with clinchers
I have clinchers and tubs a plenty . For the tyres alone I prefer tubs for racing and training ( although depending on how this goes it may just be racing ) Its not a nighmare so far and changing a clincher would have had me swearing by now . Especially a marathon plus !
I'm just deciding myself if they are worth the ( doom and gloom ) that surrounds tubs .
I doubt i'll put tubs on the road bike as I use that for pleasure . Training aswell but mainly i'll be out and about on unknown roads with a picnic in my jersey pockets ^_^
Personally I think tubs have the edge over clinchers . If I can be bothered to use them once I am done with this problem is the big question and that's why clinchers have the market . Tubs take time and patience ........ and a workshop ...... and a trueing stand ..........and glue that gets you stoned :hyper:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have clinchers and tubs a plenty . For the tyres alone I prefer tubs for racing and training ( although depending on how this goes it may just be racing ) Its not a nighmare so far and changing a clincher would have had me swearing by now . Especially a marathon plus !
I'm just deciding myself if they are worth the ( doom and gloom ) that surrounds tubs .
I doubt i'll put tubs on the road bike as I use that for pleasure . Training aswell but mainly i'll be out and about on unknown roads with a picnic in my jersey pockets ^_^
Personally I think tubs have the edge over clinchers . If I can be bothered to use them once I am done with this problem is the big question and that's why clinchers have the market . Tubs take time and patience ........ and a workshop ...... and a trueing stand ..........and glue that gets you stoned :hyper:
Ive never used a marathon plus ever

Only 4 season or gp4000s........never had a problem changing a clincher ever

Top Bottom