Punctured tub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I seem to have my first puncture on a tub . All the advice I have had so far is fill it full of pitstop and crawl back to HQ . Well I woke up at HQ and have a puncture so now I don't know what to do . Other than change the wheel and go for a ride :laugh:
Do I need a new tub or can I fix this one ?

BigAl68

Über Member
You can fix tubs. It's fairly easy and I know planet x have the kits for about 4 pounds. I always carry pit stop and a spare and repair the ones pit stop doesn't fix.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to repair my own tubs back when I was 15, never were much good though. I would for the sake of a few quid send them off for expert repair, last thing you want is one coming apart at great speed.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just got back from a ride with the front clincher . Ewwwwwwwww :thumbsdown: I need to fix this tub !
so should I use pitstop and see if that solves it or is that just for emergencies ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just got back from a ride with the front clincher . Ewwwwwwwww :thumbsdown: I need to fix this tub !
so should I use pitstop and see if that solves it or is that just for emergencies ?
What was ewwwwwwww about the clincher

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Don't know really it just didn't feel as nice as the tub . Ive never noticed it before when swapping bikes and even full sets of wheels but just swapping out the front for a clincher made the ride feel " dirty " I cant think of another word to explain it .

Citius

Depends on the tub - some can be fixed, some can't. Some aren't worth bothering with anyway.

Sharky

Guru
Locate where the puncture is.
Pull off the backing covering the stiches
Use an old fashioned razor blade/stanley knife to cut the stiches and reveal the inner tube. keep the slit stiches as few as possible.
Pull out inner tube and repair with patch
Apply light inflation to make sure it has been fixed.
deflate and push inner tube back in.
Use waxed carpet thread or similar and a needle with largish eye and sew back in. You'll need a thimble.
Stick back the backing and job done.

Messy and fiddly, but that's what I used to do. Always carried at least one spare tub with me and the kit I've mentioned above, in case of too may punctures and too far from home.

But - Since the availability of good clinchers, have never gone back to tubs!

Good luck
Keith

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Mine are special tubs :tongue:
Actually I think it may be the valve so I'm going to try a new valve core first .
The tubs came with the wheels and I did plan to change them at the end of the season anyway . What ever happens , at some point I'm going to need a tub changing lesson :shy:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
:laugh: I'm only running tubs as the wheels came up at a good price second hand . They are nice though :okay:

Last edited by a moderator:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
:laugh: I'm only running tubs as the wheels came up at a good price second hand . They are nice though :okay:
But as you found out cuchi, unless you got a support vehicle with spare wheels a plenty, then tubs are not the best idea for solo riders

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
so if you wake up and go downstairs and find you have a flat tub and it isn't a valve problem can you just squirt pitstop in there and solve the problem ?

Citius

You can, assuming the hole is not too large - but the pitstop stuff pretty much rules out any other kind of repair subsequently...

Top Bottom