Punctured tub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

I thought it was about a punctured tub. My quote was in inverted commas with a winky at the end. There's a clue there. A subtle one, I'll grant you, but a clue nonetheless.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess its turning into that but my opinion is the only one I care about as I have plenty of clinchers and tubs so I can use what ever I want .
I don't think its a big secret that tubs are better for performance .
Ease of use however is another thing . I'm lucky enough to be single so I can pick glue off sat on the sofa in my pants and enjoy the chemical wonder that is glue . I can also think that's enough glue for tonight and take the rim to my drying room in my workshop . I doubt that would go down too well if I had a wife and kids and left a wheel drying on the kitchen worktop only to do it again over the next few days .

Citius

Certainly better for feel, weight, and the fact that you can ride them flat a lot easier than a clincher. My son has never forgiven me for selling my last set of tub wheels, as he loved racing on them. I might get him another set next season...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've used tape now and again when re-fitting on the road, but nothing beats the security of a well glued tubular. Things may have improved since my time with tubular tires, but this thread and my project of getting the old Olmo repaired have me looking over the old tubular wheels again.(Campy hubs, 6speed Regina freewheel, Mavic rims, IIRC.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The moment of truth is upon us :huh: last layer of glue and tub fitting will commence in 30 minutes . Gonna have a cuppa first :cuppa:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well that was pretty painless . Cant see what all the fuss is about to be honest . Mind you , it'll probably ride like a clowns bike now :laugh:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well that was pretty painless . Cant see what all the fuss is about to be honest . Mind you , it'll probably ride like a clowns bike now :laugh:
I think the fact its taken the best part of a week to fix a tub and refix it to rim.........:okay:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think the fact its taken the best part of a week to fix a tub and refix it to rim.........:okay:
I don't need the wheel until next week anyway so that's not a problem . If I did then I'd just use another one .
Question . Why don't they make clinchers with the same tread as tubs ? The closest I saw was a schwalbe Lugano ( I think )

BigAl68

Über Member
I read on road cc about some new clinchers that are made the same way as tubs with the tread glued on and with 320TPI. Can't remember the manufacturer.

Citius

Question . Why don't they make clinchers with the same tread as tubs ? The closest I saw was a schwalbe Lugano ( I think )

Vittoria, Challenge and Veloflex make tubs with near identical rolling surfaces as their equivalent clinchers.

You don't buy tubs because they are easy to repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Vittoria, Challenge and Veloflex make tubs with near identical rolling surfaces as their equivalent clinchers.

You don't buy tubs because they are easy to repair.
I thought they where very easy to repair . Waiting for glue to dry isn't hard work . Unless you stand there watching it :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom