Punctured Tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What’s the general thoughts on whether a punctured tube should be repaired or replaced? I don’t mean on a ride, but when you get home.

Should I continue to use a tube which has been repaired?

BurningLegs

Veteran
A well repaired tube is just as good as a new one 👍

Some tubes have a pronounced seam on them - I have found that repairs to holes on the worst parts of this seam can be almost impossible to repair properly - I often end up with them having a very slow puncture after.

Other than that - if it works it works - if the patch keep the air in then I'll keep using the tube.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Some tubes have a pronounced seam on them - I have found that repairs to holes on the worst parts of this seam can be almost impossible to repair properly
Poundland puncture repair kits contain a 'cheese grater' that levels the seam flat after a few strokes. It's then easy to get an airtight seal with the patch.

D

Deleted member 1258

If the tube is too badly damaged or I've had a snake bite I'll ditch the tube, otherwise I won't ditch the tube until I've got more than three patches on it. Interestingly over the years I've had several tubes split under a patch thats been in place for several years.

Top Bottom