Punctures - how to get home without tyre removal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I dont think ETA fix the bike but they do get you home, to a station or a bike shop. I have it too, £18 a year
I was under the impression that they would fix a puncture. Even getting home would do though. Unlimited call outs seemed reasonable too for a very good price.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That's OK if there are other riders around. As I'm retired I ride during the time most people are at work and I also ride in rural Cheshire.

I rarely see another cyclist, except at weekends.
In that case the best option would be the one quoted below, plus some sort of Marathon tyres.
I think the get me home insurance service is a good idea, after all you could also have a mechanical that is not a puncture.

Don't think so no. They just arrange a taxi essentially

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/bicycle/

Gary E

Veteran
Taxi home on the odd occasion you puncture is still probably the best option.

Must admit, when I saw your problem I instantly went into engineer mode to science a way out of it lol. On reflection, and for the very few times it's likely to happen, I think @T4tomo had the best idea. Why worry about it at all on the side of the road? Get yourself home and fix the problem in your own time with a cup of tea in your hand :smile:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
+1 for Marathon Plus recommendation.

I have also been very impressed with tyre liners. I had holes in my tyres from wear and still did not get punctures for over 2 years.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've given up carrying tools, my thinking being that if the bike breaks it's probably going to be something that makes it unrideable anyway. I still have faith that if I shouldered the bike and stuck out a thumb, people in remote areas would stop as soon as they saw the reason why I was hitching. It used to work when I hitched up to climb in Scotland; I used to drape the climbing rope over the rucsac and make sure drivers could see it.

Are the tyres easy to fit? Any special tools needed for this?
They are a doddle to fit once you know the ‘trade trick’ technique. The tools you need come with the tyres. The technique is basically to pre stretch the tyre by standing on the bottom of the tyre and pulling it upwards a few times using the supplied ‘super lever’ as a lever through the top, then putting the tyre over the rim and attaching it by pushing the locating pins into the rim as per supplied instructions until you get to the point where the tyre won’t naturally go over the rim. Then stand over the wheel with your legs spread wide apart, and feed the rest of the tyre over the rim by leaning down using your elbows against the rim for leverage. There is another way as well which is basically pre stretching the tyre as before, feeding and fixing the tyre as far as possible then feeding the lever under between the tyre and rim at the point it’s resisting and standing with your toes trapping the bottom of the rim whilst lifting the remaining tyre into place like a ‘resistance band’ then locating the remaining pins. It takes a bit of practice, but you won’t need to do it again, as the tyres tend to outlive most rims expected mileage anyway. Getting them off ( should you want to ) is actually child’s play as well, once you know how. The thing you have to remember is that the 25 mm versions need a minimum 17 mm internal rim width, and you may need to ask the suppliers to supply the peach coloured s pins that don’t normally come with the 25 mm tyres. The 23 and ( oddly ) the 28 mm tyres will fit a narrower rim.

Reactions: Maz

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have Marathon Plus tyres on one bike
+1 for Marathon Plus recommendation.
In the OP's circumstance, I'll add myself to the Marathon Plus team (get the LBS to fit them). Very very low chance of a puncture provided sensible pressures are maintained/checked. You can get them in many widths and diameters (including the OP's requirements.
I think for the OP "at the "wrong side of 70" going tubeless is a change too far - lot's of other far younger think so too. Scroll down to the 'discussion' bit on this page (I don't wish to derail this thread on the benefits/challenges of tubeless).
Are the tyres easy to fit? Any special tools needed for this?
The tools you need come with the tyres. The technique is basically to pre stretch the tyre by standing on the bottom of the tyre and pulling it upwards + + +
That'll be "no" (unless you have the hands of a crab) and "yes" then. Perhaps the OP's LBS will fit them, but I suspect not for free. Tannus tyres seem to offer the opportunity, nevertheless, to move from a very very low chance to 'nil'.

Last edited:
I'd always fit tyres myself. Sod getting a bikeshop to do it. Important that you can set off knowing you can fix your own tyres. Nothing is 100 per cent puncture proof. Yes they can be a pig to fit, but not once you have the technique. Vid online from the bearded wonder shows how to do it. Can supply link if anyone needs it.

Nothing is 100 per cent puncture proof.

C9D40A93-5BA3-4D5F-BCE9-0ED126BF100E.jpeg

I can assure you these are.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
OP
RE how to get home.....

WALK:cursing: all the way OR phone the good lady wife to rescue you, major:rose::thanks:.
You do have a phone on you don't you?
My preference would be Walking for my own sense of pride and independence, But phone home and let the wife know you'll be a bit late!
Saves them worrying themselves silly thinking you've had an accident!!!

OP
OP
kapelmuur

kapelmuur

Veteran
QUOTE="Nigelnightmare, post: 5357118, member: 51845"]OP
RE how to get home.....

WALK:cursing: all the way OR phone the good lady wife to rescue you, major:rose::thanks:.
You do have a phone on you don't you?
My preference would be Walking for my own sense of pride and independence, But phone home and let the wife know you'll be a bit late!
Saves them worrying themselves silly thinking you've had an accident!!![/QUOTE]

How many miles can you walk in cleats? The last 3 punctures I've had have been 10+ miles from home.

My wife doesn't drive, I do have a phone and I use Strava Beacon, so she always knows where I am.

Top Bottom