Punctures - how to get home without tyre removal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I'm the wrong side of 70 and have arthritis in my hands, therefore removing and replacing a tyre at the side of the road is a long process for me, usually 30/40 minutes.

I use tyres with inner tubes and the tyres are Schwalbe Durano and are pretty puncture resistant, but I guess nothing is puncture proof.

I have read about tyres that can be punctured but are still rideable but but get confused between tubular and tubeless. Also I've seen some recommendations for tyres filled with gunk, but seems to be messy.

Ideally I'd like something that can be ridden for a maximum of a couple of hours to enable me to get home and do repairs at my leisure.

I have a road bike with 25mm and a gravel bike with 38mm tyres.

Your advice will be appreciated, I don't mind spending some cash as cycling is my main hobby.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tubulars are funny stick on things for racing types so you can forget about those.

A tubeless set up uses no inner tubes, but relies on sealant to be airtight.

Advantage is that a small puncture will self-seal, enabling you to bash on often without stopping.

Disadvantage is tubeless can be a fiddle to set up and it doesn't always work.

You can put sealant in an existing tube, or buy tubes with it already in.

That gives you an extra layer of protection - there's a fighting chance the sealant will seal a puncture - and in the case of pre-bought tubes is no harder than an ordinary tube to fit.

Disadvantage is sealant tubes are heavy, and like tubeless, if the puncture doesn't self-seal you have a roadside mess.

Gary E

Veteran
I too have arthritis (albeit quite mild at the moment) so I can sympathise. I'm not sure there's a simple solution to your problem without a lot more faff/expense.

Could you possibly look at the tools you use on the side of the road to make things easier? I'm thinking of some workshop level tyre levers like the Park Tool TL5C levers (they're a good 8" long and make really light work of getting a tyre off/on). Maybe a length of pipe that'll fit over the QR Skewer lever to make opening and closing easier and a CO2 inflator so that you don't need to worry about using a pump?

OP
OP
kapelmuur

kapelmuur

Veteran
I too have arthritis (albeit quite mild at the moment) so I can sympathise. I'm not sure there's a simple solution to your problem without a lot more faff/expense.

Could you possibly look at the tools you use on the side of the road to make things easier? I'm thinking of some workshop level tyre levers like the Park Tool TL5C levers (they're a good 8" long and make really light work of getting a tyre off/on). Maybe a length of pipe that'll fit over the QR Skewer lever to make opening and closing easier and a CO2 inflator so that you don't need to worry about using a pump?

Better and longer tyre levers is a good tip, I actually broke a lever getting a tyre off last week. I've never used a CO2 inflator and will have to give that a try.

I guess there's always something like Tannus tyres?
I concur.

E5293205-C1B4-4137-B019-EF7C0BA1044B.jpeg

Great tyres and never get a puncture. You do have to be wary that the 25mm versions need a minimum inner rim width of 17mm.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are also aerosols of squirty stuff that you can use for a non-removal roadside repair. I have no experience of them, so I don't know if they are any good. I guess you'd need to find and remove the offending pointy thing before you filled you inner tube with gunk from the aerosol.

Worth considering perhaps. At least until someone comes along and says otherwise.

https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-sealant-spray-00104698

I leave the offending pointy thing in and they do work.

screenman

Legendary Member
I should add that I have been using sealants in bike tyre since I know not when, not once in a lot of years have I encountered the slighteste problem with sealant spraying every where. I have at the end of a cross season pulled 14 thorns out of one tyre/tube, just added a bit of air each week and carried as was.

D

Deleted member 26715

Disadvantage is sealant tubes are heavy, and like tubeless, if the puncture doesn't self-seal you have a roadside mess.
I think you have to define heavy over the advantages of being able to get home. I don't do much road biking now but buy the prefilled gunge ones for the MTB from Decathlon £4.99 usually find they last a couple of years before failing to seal. When you take them out there are usually many 10's of self repairs.

Somebody did comment they didn't like them because they felt the wheel went out of balance with the some in, but that's not something I have ever experienced

vickster

Legendary Member
I have Marathon Plus tyres on one bike and Gatorskins on another. Just to be on the safe side I have ETA insurance to fix said bikes or to bring me home.
I dont think ETA fix the bike but they do get you home, to a station or a bike shop. I have it too, £18 a year

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have hub gears to getting a tyre off and repairing it isn't really doable. I have slime in my inner tubes and i also carry Co2 canisters. There are 2 on this kit and it also has tyre levers, but they are quite short and i doubt they would be suitable for you, but the canisters themselves are fantastic and so easy to use. If i can use them then anyone can.

20180813_192128.jpg

Top Bottom