Punctures - New Tubes vs Patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I get a puncture, I normally just replace the tube but this time I thought I'd actually make an effort to use my puncture repair kit. So I found the source in the tyre (a small shard of glass) and removed it. Fixed the puncture with a patch and pumped the tyre back up. Left it for three days until I had time to give the bike a proper clean before putting it back together.

Tyre had stayed pumped up quite happily for those three days but I had to let it down in order to get it past the brakes. Pumped it back up and put bike in the garage. This morning, the tyre was flat. Can only assume deflating and reinflating the tyre caused an issue with the patch becoming unstable.

So think I'll just go back to the 'chuck tube, replace with new one' technique when I get punctures. At least the wheel, tyre and chain are spotless from the clean so changing the tyre won't be too much of a chore.

But still, ffs. :evil: :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tinker, and it shall be sh!te, is my motto.... had to take front wheel off t'other day, to fit bike in't boot of car... ever since, brake sticks after application... before that, nowt! :evil:

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

yeah and i can never get the fricking mudguards back to normal, one of them always rubs on the tyre afterwards.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
New tubes for me too. I find patches unreliable, no matter how well you glue it on.

New tubes are cheaps enough - about £1.80 at Wilko.

Though with my Marathon+ tyres, not needed to buy any for a while.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I reckon I have 'afters' about one time in ten...and most of those are caused by wrestling the damn tyre back on, and would have happened with a new tube in any case.

I tend to replace tubes for a while but keep the old tubes and then patch several at once later down the line I find the glue works better that way. If I was to patch one immediately, it would be at least 6 months before I patch again and sometimes the glue can go off in this period. I'll probably get 3 p'tures in a row now ;-)

Beardie

Some of my inner tubes look like patchwork quilts by the time I've finished with them. It's never occurred to me to chuck an inner until it's beyond saving, bingy stastard that I am. One advantage of repair is that you don't need to remove the wheel

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I used to buy inner tubes in bulk quite cheap & think it wasn't worth patching them, but then I figured it must be better for the environment to repair rather than replace, so tend to patch up now, although with current tyres it doesn't happen too often :laugh:

Norry1

Legendary Member
potsy said:
Lifes too short to be patching,chuck em away I say.Get some decent tyres and it won't happen often anyway:ohmy:

OK, I'm sure this has been asked a million times - but what tyres do people suggest? I've had my bike 2 months and had 3 punctures.

Martin

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Norry1 said:
OK, I'm sure this has been asked a million times - but what tyres do people suggest? I've had my bike 2 months and had 3 punctures.

Martin

3 punctures in 2 months aint too bad. I had 3 in 2 days & then changed to marathon + tyres. Had 2 punctures in about 3 years since :ohmy:
Just fit Schwalbe Durano S to the road bike & done about 300 miles with no loss of air, despite a bad cut :eek:

potsy

Rambler
Soltydog said:
3 punctures in 2 months aint too bad. I had 3 in 2 days & then changed to marathon + tyres. Had 2 punctures in about 3 years since :ohmy:
Just fit Schwalbe Durano S to the road bike & done about 300 miles with no loss of air, despite a bad cut :eek:
Oi stop copying me Solty,I got Marathon+ put on my hybrid from day one and have had no deflations with them at all in over 2000 miles.
Road bike had 3 in one day so went with Conti 4seasons which I liked but they cut up badly and started to puncture after 1200 miles,have now changed to Durano+ and have been air-tight for 750+ miles.

Top Bottom