Punctures - New Tubes vs Patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I always patch. Of my three tyres on my trike, the rear one only has 2 patches (don't get many rear punctures at all - that's the original tube which has done 19,000 miles). The front right tube was recently changed after it exploded in the heat, although I have repaired it (the tube is now in my spare tube packet). That tube had about 20 patches and they were all holding well. The front left tyre has about 15 patches, different shapes and sizes, and they all hold well. Yesterday I bought a roll of patch material which I shall cut up to suit and should last me another couple of years.

I used decent Schwalbe tubes and have two spares with me at all times although have never needed two. My tyres are Marathon or Big Apple depending on my mood.

Throwing tubes away for a small hole seems a ridiculously wasteful thing to do.

ramses

I think a tube is worth at least one repair. Tis worth checking that the valve has not worked loose with all the pumping up, and that air isn't escaping from here rather than the patch. I have recently experienced something similar, and spent time cursing the tube and patch, only to find it was the valve. A pair of tweezers and a little twist, all fixed.

longers

Legendary Member
Auntie Helen said:
Throwing tubes away for a small hole seems a ridiculously wasteful thing to do.

That's what I reckon. Change tube at roadside and repair at home.

mark barker

I've always gone with the theory that a well patched tube is less likely to get another puncture than a new tube is... The extra thickness of the patches must help protect a little bit!

Davidc

Guru
Just buy a new tube. Keep it in your tool bag.

Once the glue's opened repair kits need replacing 'cos the stuff goes hard afterwards. So it's £1.10 (26") or £1.25 (700c) to replace or £0.99 and a load of time and hasssle to repair.

With modern tyres punctures are so rare that the environmental impact difference from buying a repair kit or a tube can't be great.

I do carry a repair kit in my tool bag though, in case I get more than 1 puncture on a trip. It has happened in the past - multiple holes in both tyres from a single incident.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

i'm green enough by actually cycling, let alone piss-assing around with patches. won't be doing that again. back to spare tubes for me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
Once the glue's opened repair kits need replacing 'cos the stuff goes hard afterwards. So it's £1.10 (26") or £1.25 (700c) to replace or £0.99 and a load of time and hasssle to repair.
Not if you use tyres that weigh under a kilo apiece. Marathon+ are all very well but we don't all want to ride tractors. As for time & hassle, once you've done it a few times, fixing a puncture takes no more time than replacing a tube - sometimes less. (No need to remove the wheel.)

Davidc said:
With modern tyres punctures are so rare that the environmental impact difference from buying a repair kit or a tube can't be great.
See above. I probably get through a kit per year. That saves 10 tubes. Environmental balance? (Not to mention £25 in beer money.)

Only slackers and reprobates throw away perfectly good tubes. Do the manly thing. Impress friends, neighbours and offspring. Don't chuck it, patch it. You know it makes sense.

Davidc

Guru
swee said:
I've been dealing with punctures for a long time but have never got the time to do a repair down to the less than 5 minutes to replace a tube.

I use marathons, can't see any advantage to the + version and they cost more, and the puncture rate seems to be about one in 2000 miles average, which these days is only around 1 a year for me.

In the past, when I did at least 6000 miles a year for many years, on 27 x 1 1/4 Michelins - which did 250 miles / puncture if you were lucky, it was worth keeping half a dozen spare tubes and having a repair session every 6 weeks or so. But not now.

When (if) I retire and can spend more time out on the road I might review my policy. (Note might).

Edit: If you want cheap tubes keep an eye on the the bargain sections of cycle shop websites, they seem to turn up every so often, then phone up and negotiate a price for 10.

NickM

Veteran
Davidc said:
Once the glue's opened repair kits need replacing...
Mine don't. I squeeze all the air out of the tube of solution before replacing the cap.

Davidc said:
With modern tyres punctures are so rare that the environmental impact difference from buying a repair kit or a tube can't be great...
Yes, but it's the principle of the thing. Some people are made uncomfortable by the throwaway society in which we live. I would have expected most cyclists to feel that way, but it seems I'm wrong :smile:

Davidc

Guru
NickM said:
Mine don't. I squeeze all the air out of the tube of solution before replacing the cap.

Yes, but it's the principle of the thing. Some people are made uncomfortable by the throwaway society in which we live. I would have expected most cyclists to feel that way, but it seems I'm wrong :smile:

It was once possible to buy just the tubes of glue, but I haven't seen them for years. After that I used a glue called thixofix, but that's disappeared as well now. The problem is, I think, that the repair kits don't get used up fast enough. If I was getting through them in a year I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem.

I don't like the throwaway society either, but there are some things where I'll put up with it. I do keep the old tubes, as they're useful for all sorts of repairs and bodges. I just made a friction bottom for a bathroom waste bin with one - stops it from sliding when the pedal is pressed to open it.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
NickM said:

+1

I have about 5 kits worth of patches so I'm going to try the Slime Skabs glueless patches. Takes up much less room than standard kit and no wasted glue.
Not had to use it yet:becool: what do others find with this product.

I also take spare tube and much prefer to change rather than mend while on a ride and repair at home. I can be a bugger looking for a bowl of water at the side of the road;).

Top Bottom