Punctures on your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
I´ve recently started to cycle to work again. It´s a seven mile run from Clapham Common westside to King´s Cross and normally takes 30 mins. I´ve yet to have a puncture and to be honest, I´d be tempted to take off the front wheel and jump into a taxi rather than start trying to repair it or fit a new tube (probably in the rain, u know how it goes).
I´m now carrying a tin of Zefal which is supposed to re-inflate your tyre while repairing any damage as it does so. Does anyone have any experience of this at all? A work colleague recommended something similar (a gooey spray or something?) and he swears by it. Apparently it´ll get you back on the road long enough (on a short commute like mine) to get you in to work (or home) which is all you need, especially as I work near a cycle workshop.
:?:

potsy

Rambler
Not heard good things about the Zefal stuff tbh,get some decent puncture resistant tyres,keep them pumped up and you won't have many.
I have had maybe 2 in almost 12 months.
Practice changing tubes at home too you'll be amazed at how easy it is once you get the hang of it,should be back up and running in 10-15minutes.
thumbsup.png

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There'll be plenty of people on here moaning about the weight of the Marathons Pluses, but I think they're the best tyre for commuting. You don't want to be doing a roadside repair in the cold winter months.

boydj

Legendary Member
Not heard good things about the Zefal stuff tbh,get some decent puncture resistant tyres,keep them pumped up and you won't have many.
I have had maybe 2 in almost 12 months.
Practice changing tubes at home too you'll be amazed at how easy it is once you get the hang of it,should be back up and running in 10-15minutes.
thumbsup.png

+1

More often than not the cause of the puncture will be stuck in your tyre and taking the tyre off may be the only way to remove it, so I don't see a spray being too effective or worthwhile.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There'll be plenty of people on here moaning about the weight of the Marathons Pluses, but I think they're the best tyre for commuting. You don't want to be doing a roadside repair in the cold winter months.

Far from it. I think you will find the majority of cycling commuters on here rate the +'s very highly

BSRU

A Human Being

When I first changed to Marathons Pluses I moaned, justifiably, because they were alot heavier and slower then my previous tyres. It took a week or so to get used to them and now I ride as quickly as I did before, even up my one and only short climb. Someone going from 400g tyres to 900g tyres is going to notice the difference at first but they are definitely worth persisting with for piece of mind on those dark wet commutes to come.

When I first changed to Marathons Pluses I moaned, justifiably, because they were alot heavier and slower then my previous tyres. It took a week or so to get used to them and now I ride as quickly as I did before, even up my one and only short climb. Someone going from 400g tyres to 900g tyres is going to notice the difference at first but they are definitely worth persisting with for piece of mind on those dark wet commutes to come.

400 to 900? I have 195g tyres! A 1kg (almost) tyre is mental.

I think luck partily comes down to it - I activitely brag and tease about not getting any :tongue: rural commutes for me and I've only had 1 "puncture" in 2 years and that was because I hit a pothole and blew the tube. That was on 25c Schwarble Blizzards, on 23c Vittoras Diamante Pros - still none.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I think luck partily comes down to it - I activitely brag and tease about not getting any :tongue: rural commutes for me and I've only had 1 "puncture" in 2 years and that was because I hit a pothole and blew the tube. That was on 25c Schwarble Blizzards, on 23c Vittoras Diamante Pros - still none.

Heh heh - 220g tyres here.........

Schwarble eh........... new make like Wobbler (Wolber) :tongue:

Heh heh - 220g tyres here.........

Schwarble eh........... new make like Wobbler (Wolber) :tongue:

I always type it wrong and tend to recorrect it after but forgot this time - Schwalbe - the word itself really is the most stupid word I have ever seen in the world... and I've been to Wales.

BSRU

A Human Being
My previous tyre, Vittoria Randonneur Hyper City Folding Tyre, 38c, weigh 440g each, Marathon Plus 38c's weigh 900g each.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I´ve recently started to cycle to work again. It´s a seven mile run from Clapham Common westside to King´s Cross and normally takes 30 mins. I´ve yet to have a puncture and to be honest, I´d be tempted to take off the front wheel and jump into a taxi rather than start trying to repair it or fit a new tube (probably in the rain, u know how it goes).
I´m now carrying a tin of Zefal which is supposed to re-inflate your tyre while repairing any damage as it does so. Does anyone have any experience of this at all? A work colleague recommended something similar (a gooey spray or something?) and he swears by it. Apparently it´ll get you back on the road long enough (on a short commute like mine) to get you in to work (or home) which is all you need, especially as I work near a cycle workshop.
:?:

I'm not experienced with using Zefal, but I’ve always just assumed it ruins your tube and makes it impossible to repair properly later (having filled it with crappy goo).

Repairing punctures really isn’t that much of a hassle and as many have said there are some really good puncture resistant tyres available (that must cost less than chucking away perfectly good tubes that are full of Zefal and flagging down all those cabs).

I ride with Specialized Armadillos and have had no issues in over a year

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

I rate the diamantes. I only got punctures after I damaged the side wall when my wheel went into a crack between paving slabs.
2,500miles without a puncture on London roads is great for such a light tyre.

Top Bottom