Puppy!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I can't remember if it was Jasper Carrot or Billy Connoly who recommended calling a dog "Rabies".....but ALL of our dogs have had the sobriquet "Spud" regardless of their Sunday names. As in "C'mon Spud, walkies"

AndyRM

XOXO
Usain (obvious) or Gabriel, from the Villa chant, to the tune of Karma Chameleon:

Gabby Gabby Gabby Gabby Gabby Agbonlahoooooor,
He's fast as f£ck,
He's fast as f££££££ck

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Usain (obvious) or Gabriel, from the Villa chant, to the tune of Karma Chameleon:

Gabby Gabby Gabby Gabby Gabby Agbonlahoooooor,
He's fast as f£ck,
He's fast as f££££££ck
We have had a Gabriel. He was Irish and had been starved before he landed in our care. Vet gave him 2 months tops. We had him 5 1/2 years before we had to have him PTS just before Christmas.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Name him Stanley!
Why?

We did consider Vincent. Fine rock star sort of name that.

Ludwig had a good night. He squeaked a bit to start with and migrated from his basket to Millie's basket. Millie migrated to the bottom of the bed, under the duvet. He woke up at 3 am and squeaked some more so I stroked him for a minute as he fell asleep again.
He has stuffed breakfast - played in our garden - had 2nd breakfast and is now wanting lunch but he'll have to wait another hour or so.

Now happily entertaining himself with an empty yoghurt pot. Corduroy bunny is being ignored today.

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the musical theme, we got Hendrix in mid-August, 4 months old at the time of this pic :smile:
14912598629_1d5fc7a93c_c.jpg IMG_3833 by topcataj, on Flickr
We definitely had some Jimi playing in the car on the way home from picking him up!

Oh, he is very handsome, what breed/breeds is he?

AndyRM

XOXO
@Saluki - you clearly know your dugs.

I'd quite like one, though Mrs RM is not keen. We also have three cats, one quite a nervous chap. Is there a breed who might get on with them and Mrs RM? Or am I on a hiding to nothing?

For the record, my initial suggestions were either a German shepherd or wolfhound. Little dugs are not for me as I'd look ridiculous walking the beast. Maybe a husky? They are creatures of beauty, which is also important.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

@Saluki - you clearly know your dugs.

I'd quite like one, though Mrs RM is not keen. We also have three cats, one quite a nervous chap. Is there a breed who might get on with them and Mrs RM? Or am I on a hiding to nothing?

For the record, my initial suggestions were either a German shepherd or wolfhound. Little dugs are not for me as I'd look ridiculous walking the beast. Maybe a husky? They are creatures of beauty, which is also important.
I've been a dog groomer since 1974 so I've learned about dogs over time.
My GSD was fine with cats but he was brought up with them. Our cat smacked him into line a couple of times when Troy was a pup and stuffed his nose into Brambles' basket once too often.

Training is the key. I've never had a JRT or a Sighthound that's been good with dogs but know plenty who have. Wolfhounds are gorgeous but they do have a highish prey drive. They are a sighthound and although I know people with sighthounds that are fine with cats, I've never had one that wouldn't kill one given the opportunity. They also don't live very long. I know someone who got one to 7 and she was mightily impressed with herself.

Huskys are bloody hard work. Much harder work than a GSD. A GSD needs a lot of exercise, a Husky needs a whole lot more and the call of the wild is still strong in them. Our Mark has 2 Huskies and one of them never comes off his lead unless it's in an enclosed space as he will just run and run and run. Mark goes bike joring with them every couple of days to keep the tickles out of their feet. I wouldn't trust either of Mark's Huskies with a cat but then they are both out of rescue and were at least 18 months old when he got them. Happily our Mark's place backs on to the Marriotts Way - an ex railway line and now part of the NCN No. 1 trail.

Beagles, Boxers, Labs, Retrievers are generally known to be good with cats - as in not actually eating them. Beagles and Labs are prone to getting fat as they are greedy. People under estimate the amount of walking some breeds need. We used to walk a Beagle for 2 hours a day before his owners separated and the Beagle moved to Somerset (a bit out of our walking area).

Hope this helps.

Quick pupdate: Ludvig is sleeping in the patches of sunlight on the carpet. He keeps moving, every so often, as the sun patch travels across the room.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I know someone with a Malmute/Husky type and sadly the dog is utterly bonkers. Not from bad breeding but sheer boredom. A 20 minute stroll twice a day to take the kids school and collect them again would just about suit an elderly Yorkshire terrier, not a dog bred to run all day, every day. IMHO, the breed should be licensed - not because *they're* dangerous but because humans who want them as pets are.

Most Huskies I see are on the lead and one that isn't should be. I meet two that aren't and I've only recently got to know their owner. Before that the big one used to walk over to me and growl. I naturally avoided them. When I did finally talk to the owner and get to the know the dogs I was pleasantly surprised. The big one still walks over and growls but now she growls at me louder. This I discovered is how she communicates pleasure. The louder the growl the happier she is. And now the other one knows me, he comes and sits on my feet for a fuss. I still wouldn't have one though, they're a dog that need a lot of stimulation and I find them difficult dogs to read.

Top Bottom