purist cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I nipped out into the bike park at lunchtime to make sure all was well with my steed - no slow puncture from this morning and all that.

There I saw a flashy new bike - red Planet X carbon thingy. So I went over to admire - SRAM Red throughout, two decent Cateye lights on front and two on pack, nice saddle bag & decent saddle.

This guy's a pretty serious cyclist I thought until.....the drive train. The chain was on the big ring - big ring combination.

All gear and no idea!

Don't worry about the so-called purists because half of 'em aint got a clue.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No snobbishness here - I even fraternise with those whose cycles have only two wheels! :ohmy:
We don't like it though...

Craggy

T'other day I was riding in the opposite direction to a lycra clad roadie, I was on my MTB and gave him a nod, his gaze followed me untill he passed and Im sure I could lip read hime saying...

"Whaaat theeee fuuuu....."

I took that as evidence he was looking down upon me, and my trusty steed. And I didnt give a fuuuu....

if i love my bike,thats enough for me.If you don,t,then thats a problem for you.

jimboalee

I nipped out into the bike park at lunchtime to make sure all was well with my steed - no slow puncture from this morning and all that.

There I saw a flashy new bike - red Planet X carbon thingy. So I went over to admire - SRAM Red throughout, two decent Cateye lights on front and two on pack, nice saddle bag & decent saddle.

This guy's a pretty serious cyclist I thought until.....the drive train. The chain was on the big ring - big ring combination.

All gear and no idea!

Don't worry about the so-called purists because half of 'em aint got a clue.

You can take £5000..... ( Been on the Planet X website. They're only £1700.. Cheapskate! ) to a Bike shop.

Can you take £5000 to a Leg shop? :laugh:

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
On of the main reason Ive never joined a cycle club - these elitest type really get up my nose. Ive met plenty, esp the types that have to make a big impression when on the road. Do what you think is right!

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I find it absolutely hilarious that we've got people complaining about the painfully stereotyped behaviour of cyclists being labelled as "elitist" and being scornful towards them. Surely that's what you're having a moan about, other cyclists being scornful of you? I expect if one of you saw me on the road you'd think I was one of these snotty racer types, but I wouldn't pooh-pooh you unless you pooh-poohed me.

Seriously. Most people on bikes don't give a flying rat's bottom about what you are riding or what you are wearing. If you're hopping up and down off the pavement and running red lights then you're not going to win many friends, but then frankly you don't deserve any if you're doing that.

Stop getting wound up about what you think other people think about you and just ride your damn bike!

Sam

colinr

On of the main reason Ive never joined a cycle club - these elitest type really get up my nose

They're not all bad. Even in the 'bad' ones, there'll only be a couple of real elitists at most, you just notice them more.
I wouldn't let perceived elitism put you off trying a club.

gavintc

Guru
On of the main reason Ive never joined a cycle club - these elitest type really get up my nose. Ive met plenty, esp the types that have to make a big impression when on the road. Do what you think is right!

LOL. Cycle clubs are not a hot bed of elitism. I have been a member of 3 separate clubs, they are very much down to earth people.

EssexRider

fancy expensive road bikes and the matching cycling shorts n jersey and helmet and all the other apparell.

Sounds like me but I dont look down my nose at anyone, doesnt matter if i look the part, doesnt mean im better, also obviously into the same sport so all is good to me.

unless its brompton. i cant stand them things or people on them on the roads xD

jayonabike