purist cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

So long as it is pedal powered it's OK.

Riders in team colours are akin to people who wear footie shirts - sorry, but you aint ever gonna be Rooney or Contador

There IS a difference here.

Contador could quite easily play a full game of soccer, but Rooney couldn't for the life of him ride a mountain stage of the Tour. It doesn't matter if Contador is crap at footie, Rooney wouldn't get up the first H cat climb.

The cyclist with the replica jersey is praising an athlete. The soccer fan with his Man U replica shirt is mindlessly following 'celebrity culture'.

Garz

Squat Member
Hmm I disagree Jimbo.

Whilst I agree about the army of sheep following their 'favourite' team (largely lost is now your regional allegiance) you could argue all sports are similar in wanting to wear the strip that the elite guys do. I also think that a premier club fitness level footballer would have no problem cycling a leg of a tour.

"The cyclist with the replica jersey is praising an athlete" err I dont think so, some just want to look cool or must get bought them buy spouses/family. Out of choice I would try not wear a team replica kit for fear of having to live up to the standard that some amateurs think everyone should be at.

jimboalee

Hmm I disagree Jimbo.

Whilst I agree about the army of sheep following their 'favourite' team (largely lost is now your regional allegiance) you could argue all sports are similar in wanting to wear the strip that the elite guys do. I also think that a premier club fitness level footballer would have no problem cycling a leg of a tour.

"The cyclist with the replica jersey is praising an athlete" err I dont think so, some just want to look cool or must get bought them buy spouses/family. Out of choice I would try not wear a team replica kit for fear of having to live up to the standard that some amateurs think everyone should be at.

14th March 2008. Sport Relief 500 km bike ride from Newcastle upon Tyne via Birmingham to BBC Centre, Shepherd's Bush.

2333225394_72d612b318.jpg

This was that West Brom fan who went on the ride.

Alan Shearer, quote "This is the worst thing I've ever done. How they get up those mountains, I don't know".

raindog

er.....
Well, Berto would easily be able to run round the pitch with everyone else for 90 minutes but I'm not sure if the word "play" would be applicable.
Also, I expect Rooney could ride a Tour stage if he had to but it would take considerably longer than Berto.:biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Team kit is one thing, but you are asking for trouble if you kit yourself out in the polka dot jersey or the maillot jaune - unless you can justify it of course :smile:.

Karlos

I ride an old Dawes, and wear basic cycling kit but have never had anyone be anything but totally friendly out on the road. I never notice what someone else is riding and wouldn't know an expensive bike from a Halfords special to be honest. I'm sure nobody worries what I'm on either ;)

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Oh whatever! What a bigoted opinion. What on earth is wrong with wearing the jersey of a team you support or follow, or of a rider you like?

Tell you what, let's all never get on bikes again cos we're never gonna be world champions.

Only kidding guys, just being Devil's advocate. :smile:

It's great to visit Italy and see the riders wearing their team colours on their replica bikes, God knows how they afford all that stuff.

Was at the Giro Rome ITT in 2009, lots of team colours, especially the dolly birds giving out the freebies.

Attachments

• giro.jpg
    giro.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
B

bigsean

Crikey! i wasnt expecting all that :wacko: i think most of you have very valid points, and even though it seems like contradiction, i agree with quite a lot of your comments.
I'm not an over sensitive quivering wreck because i got a dirty look a few times, and more often than not my mindset is, stuff em (or something similar)
Ihave in years gone by been involved in football and rugby teams and also done a fair bit of fishing, and there is the 'being part of a club' mentality within me, which i assumed would be the same in cycling....and i'm sure it is, and i'm sure i'll experience far more positive and polite cyclists, than the few offish ones i mentioned in my original post.

thank you all for your comments.....and just to make it clear
Ido not have any predjudice to 'roadies' or any other cycling faction!

And to the people who said just enjoy ur bike........... I am, very much:thumbsup:

Chutzpah

Über Member
Since getting back into cycling a few months ago, one of the things I've enjoyed most is the sheer eclectic mix of people you find. I smile when I see a kid wobbling along and learning, I smile when I see a pensioner keeping active. Hell, when I'm driving along and I see a cyclist on a racing bike in full gear stamping those pedals part of me wants to wind the window down and cheer them on (I always stop short as I'm sure I'll sound like a cyclist hating moron.... some things are easily lost in translation)
I have a touring bike and an MTB which both get a similiar amount of use around the lanes and i meet a wide variety of cyclist's from the expensive road bikes with the riders wearing the replica racing kit to familys out for a jolly with the kids and no matter what bike im riding or what clothing i have on i would say that 95% of all cyclist's give some sort of pleasant aknowlegdement

Maybe its an area specific thing ?

Simon

When out in the lanes around here I see all types. And most will be friendly. Very few ever reply. Even on my morning commute most cyclists will nod back.

My thinking is that if you meet another cyclist who's hammering along and you're struggling - how do they know that you're not at the end of a 100 miler and on your way home? They don't know, so it doesn't matter what they think!

This is always my rationale when overtaken
biggrin.gif
On the plus side, I'm now getting the fitness level where sometimes it's ME doing the overtaking
wave.gif

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Team kit is one thing, but you are asking for trouble if you kit yourself out in the polka dot jersey or the maillot jaune - unless you can justify it of course :smile:.

I have two bright yellow cycling jerseys, I didn't for a minute think of myself as wearing the Maillot Jaune though, they're more luminous yellow than Maillot Jaune yellow. I have a yellow t-shirt on today...

jimboalee

14th March 2008. Sport Relief 500 km bike ride from Newcastle upon Tyne via Birmingham to BBC Centre, Shepherd's Bush.

2333225394_72d612b318.jpg

This was that West Brom fan who went on the ride.

Alan Shearer, quote "This is the worst thing I've ever done. How they get up those mountains, I don't know".

Maybe I should have put a BIG emphasis on one of Alan's words.... the word "EVER", because when he said it, I definitely took it as "EVER" meaning his life, not just the last couple of days.

Top Bottom