Pushed myself too hard and went too far tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
My confidence and ability has been growing over the past few months and I regularly do 30-40 mile rides three times a week if possible. These feel fine and I enjoy them, even if I try to do well in certain strava segments. Today I finished work early as I had been working too hard lately and decided to get out for a ride as my wife and child are away until tomorrow. I chose a new route on the map and guessed in my head it would be approx 40 miles, maybe a few more. I had a good lunch so felt fuelled but after 25 miles into the ride I could tell that I wasn't even half way around but still felt good and pushed on. At 48 miles I was seriously flagging and a signpost said my village was 10 miles away. It had been raining heavily for the past hour, I was out of fluid, out of food and just felt like stopping and crying like a big jessie. The route was tougher than I had imagined with more hilIs and obviously longer than I guessed. I had no one to pick me up in the car so the last 10 miles were absolute hell. I got home at a snails pace on roads that I usually speed down so the lesson is if you are doing a longer solo ride, plan it accurately to know the elevation, length of route, short cuts home and take more food or energy gels and fluid.

I'm totally beat but am going to have a cold beer to feel better ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well done for completing the ride

madferret

Über Member
I did my first 50 unplanned like that and ended up running out of food/drinks, this made the last 5 or so miles utter hell and a snails pace. But it also meant that I always have enough stuff with me now! That said, not attempted another one since :blush:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Happens to us all! You'll laugh about it one day.

I nearly cried in the bath. My thighs were burning for the last 15 miles and just to sit down in comfort was amazing. I think my bad ride was compounded by the fact it was raining so my hands were cold and started to go numb on the hoods so I had to keep changing positions. Running out of water with High 5 tabs was the biggest mental drain as everything came together to make the last 10 miles feel like riding up everest. I might not laugh tomorrow if I can't walk properly :sad:

RhythMick

Über Member
But you'll feel better for having upped your 'limit'

RhythMick

Über Member
Do you need to use tabs? I don't use them personally, or gels so I can't speak from knowledge but I'd guess all that stuff will act to dehydrate you more? Happy to be told I'm wrong but my point is below 50 miles you probably just need water. Oh and jelly babies of course ;-)

Bill-H

slow and steady
The important thing is you finished it do same route in couple of months with jelly babies I always keep some in my saddle bag just in case

PK99

Legendary Member
My confidence and ability has been growing over the past few months and I regularly do 30-40 mile rides three times a week if possible. These feel fine and I enjoy them, even if I try to do well in certain strava segments. Today I finished work early as I had been working too hard lately and decided to get out for a ride as my wife and child are away until tomorrow. I chose a new route on the map and guessed in my head it would be approx 40 miles, maybe a few more. I had a good lunch so felt fuelled but after 25 miles into the ride I could tell that I wasn't even half way around but still felt good and pushed on. At 48 miles I was seriously flagging and a signpost said my village was 10 miles away. It had been raining heavily for the past hour, I was out of fluid, out of food and just felt like stopping and crying like a big jessie. The route was tougher than I had imagined with more hilIs and obviously longer than I guessed. I had no one to pick me up in the car so the last 10 miles were absolute hell. I got home at a snails pace on roads that I usually speed down so the lesson is if you are doing a longer solo ride, plan it accurately to know the elevation, length of route, short cuts home and take more food or energy gels and fluid.

I'm totally beat but am going to have a cold beer to feel better ^_^

Welcome to The Bonk!

Top Bottom