Put wheels on myself?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matc

Hello. New here, have just posted in the Welcome Mat thread.

As I said there, am being sent a Cannondale R800 bought off eBay, wheels in separate package. Being a total noob to road bikes (well, to taking off or putting on any sort of wheel, truth be told), would it be good practice for me to put them on myself, not knowing a thing about brakes, chain, gears and the like, or best to go to local LBS (lots of good ones here in Lucca, obviously, one I know pretty well) and get him to do it?

I'm probably over-analysing this and it's a piece-of-p*ss to do, but thought I'd ask as I cycle alone and have not got anyone here to ask who wouldn't likely snort at me. Thanks.

garrilla

Its a peice of p*ss.

Front wheel should very obvious, put QR leaver on left side. Sit inthe drop-outs and tighten.

Rear wheel, easy enough. Gently pull the rear mechanism backwards and insert wheel in front of it but above the chain. Then lift the wheel and pull back into place. Make sure it sits well in the drop-outs and tighten.

edit: by the way I'm assuming the wheels are Quick Rlease, if not (complain and) fasten the nuts instead

lordjenks

its no problem at all,
you will most likley have quick release skewers (little leavers) simply open these and unscrew a little, you will then need to open the brakes, normally a plastic leaver on the acutal brake mechinsm, this will widen the brakes to allow a fully pumped up tire through, once you have done this simply slide the wheel into the slots at the bottom of the forks, then screw up the quick release leavers and close them (just a little hit, make sure that the leavers are facing backwards so that they dont catch on anything whilst you are riding) then remeber to close the brakes again!
the back wheel is a litle harder, again unscrew the quick release leavers and open the brakes, then make sure that the wheel is the right way round, the gears on the back are on the same side of the chain and then slot the wheel in making sure that the chain goes round the rear sprocket(gears on the back) then close the quick release leavers and close the brakes again, push it along and spin the pedals just to make sure everything is cool and DONE!!
once you get used to it most riders can take out the rear wheel fix a puncture and replace everything in a few minutes.
hope it helps
and welcome!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"put QR leaver on left side"

Is there a reason why 'left'? I'm not disputing, just curious. (I've always had 'em on the right, for no particular reason.)

I am Spartacus

Über Member
You don't want the lever sticking out any further that it needs to.. and it should be inline with the fork or rear stay.
If riding in bunch you don't want a lever stuck out at any old angle possible hooking up someone else's wheel

SimonC

I am Spartacus said:
You don't want the lever sticking out any further that it needs to.. and it should be inline with the fork or rear stay.
If riding in bunch you don't want a lever stuck out at any old angle possible hooking up someone else's wheel

I always have levers pointing backwards, so they dont get caught on anything and also they are easier to open if not up against fork or stay.

OP
OP
matc

matc

Thanks everyone. I suspected this was a dumb noob question. No doubt I'll look back and cringe at my first question asked here, but I really am wet behind the ears on all this and have to start somewhere. It would appear I've been lucky to remain p***ture-free after about 4000 km's, hence never having had to think about taking off wheels (has been serviced once at LBS).

Thanks again, will print this out for whenever the Italian postal service deem fit to deliver the bloody thing.

Top Bottom