Put your bloody lights on!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

Light hurting his eyes? It's all I can think of.
Well, I thought that Maz (scraping the barrel as ya do) then figured it would only hurt while it was on and not off, on, off; nah, I'm at a loss. Don't spose he was cussing about something else?

Maz

Guru
Well, I thought that Maz (scraping the barrel as ya do) then figured it would only hurt while it was on and not off, on, off; nah, I'm at a loss. Don't spose he was cussing about something else?
Possibly, but it seemed it was directed at me. No worries - he probably just 'had a bad day at the office.'

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
No problem seeing flashing lights but I do find it difficult to judge relative position, speed and convergence. This is apparent both as a rural driver and a cyclist on, for example, the Torrington Place segregated bike lane in London.

OP
OP
Monsieur

Monsieur

I also ride a 1000cc motorcycle (as well as cycle and drive a car) and I aim to make myself as visible as I can - cyclist or motorcyclist, I have a responsibility to myself to make sure I'm seen by others who may be a threat to my survival...i.e car/van/lorry/bus drivers.

If you ride and you put the onus on others to see you and take action to avoid you then you. sir, are a fool.

You need to think for yoursef, you need to do all you can to be seen by others, you need to ride safely and defensively - you get hit by a half-tonne car and you (not them) are hurt. No point when you are in the back of the ambulance saying that your flashing rear light should have made a driver see you ... its your responsibility as well.

Judging by the difficulty I had seeing the cyclists I saw last night I wouldn't want to put my life in the hands of a driver who may be tired after work, on his phone, bickering with his passengers or just listening to his car radio even.

They sell hi-viz vests, decent front/rear lights and helmets for a reason.

Don't expect other road users always to use the road as well as you or you will be the next statistic.

I also ride a 1000cc motorcycle (as well as cycle and drive a car) and I aim to make myself as visible as I can - cyclist or motorcyclist, I have a responsibility to myself to make sure I'm seen by others who may be a threat to my survival...i.e car/van/lorry/bus drivers.

If you ride and you put the onus on others to see you and take action to avoid you then you. sir, are a fool.

You need to think for yoursef, you need to do all you can to be seen by others, you need to ride safely and defensively - you get hit by a half-tonne car and you (not them) are hurt. No point when you are in the back of the ambulance saying that your flashing rear light should have made a driver see you ... its your responsibility as well.

Judging by the difficulty I had seeing the cyclists I saw last night I wouldn't want to put my life in the hands of a driver who may be tired after work, on his phone, bickering with his passengers or just listening to his car radio even.

Don't expect other road users always to use the road as well as you or you will be the next statistic.

Who are you talking to?

OP
OP
Monsieur

Monsieur

Who are you talking to?
Probably myself as always :whistle:

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I'd like to take this one step further - fine anyone cycling in the dark. It's dangerous and stupid and anyone flitting about on a pushbike, even if they are lit up like a christmas tree, must be off their bloody trolley. Just my opinion though.

You know what? You're not wrong. What you say makes perfect sense. But theres a problem. The trouble with the system we have at the moment is that the onus of responsibility for road safety is placed very firmly at the feet of the most vulnerable road users.The people who are most at risk from the danger are the ones who are expected to take measures to protect themselves. Not the ones posing the danger. It's perverse, unfair and uncivilised.

A system which expects me to wear protective gear to save me from the actions of others is crazy. No less crazy than expecting me to don a bullet-proof vest if some lunatic was letting off a weapon in a public space.

The problem - which your post illustrates perfectly - is that we have, as a nation, become to accept as normal the threat of brutal violence which cars threaten us with daily.

When the law was changed to oblige cyclists to adopt a red tail-light the CTC were up in arms. Their objection was that it fundamentally changed the onus of responsibility away from the drivers of motor vehicles who were the source of road danger to the victims of that danger. And now, when we dare to take to the roads without HI-Viz and a polystyrene piss pot we are looked at as if we are grossly irresponsible. It's all arse about tit.

OP
OP
Monsieur

Monsieur

You know what? You're not wrong. What you say makes perfect sense. But theres a problem. The trouble with the system we have at the moment is that the onus of responsibility for road safety is placed very firmly at the feet of the most vulnerable road users.The people who are most at risk from the danger are the ones who are expected to take measures to protect themselves. Not the ones posing the danger. It's perverse, unfair and uncivilised.

A system which expects me to wear protective gear to save me from the actions of others is crazy. No less crazy than expecting me to don a bullet-proof vest if some lunatic was letting off a weapon in a public space.

The problem - which your post illustrates perfectly - is that we have, as a nation, become to accept as normal the threat of brutal violence which cars threaten us with daily.

When the law was changed to oblige cyclists to adopt a red tail-light the CTC were up in arms. Their objection was that it fundamentally changed the onus of responsibility away from the drivers of motor vehicles who were the source of road danger to the victims of that danger. And now, when we dare to take to the roads without HI-Viz and a polystyrene piss pot we are looked at as if we are grossly irresponsible. It's all arse about tit.

I think a lot of this is due to British society and the attitude of many people in this society to others. I've never cycled abroad but I've rode my motorcycle over many parts of the EU and the attitude to motorcycles/cycles is so much more civilised and responsible.
Alas, I don't see the attitudes to cyclists here changing at all in the future.

Be careful out there!

Top Bottom