Putting a new battery in a Garmin Edge 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not strictly a bike repair, but I didn't know where else to put it.
Following the instructions from this excellent video I put a new battery in my Garmin Edge 200.
I bought the battery from Amazon.
I also had to buy a screw driver to open the back cover of the Garmin (£3.00 from a local hardware shop) but some kits have this included.
I used a tyre lever to praise the Garmin's main body open, in the video he uses a special tool part of the kit.
The three little screws that attach the motherboard to the case have an unusual head, no screwdriver in my extended collection would fit: eventually I found a ratchet bit that did the job.
I could have not bothered about reconnecting the speaker wires, but wanting to do things right I bought a glue gun for a tenner to do this: it did not work out as I don't have a wire stripper, tried to strip the already short wires with scissors but ended up with no length left to twist them together for gluing, so the beeping sound is lost.
Other than that, the device works fine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Melt the insulation with the glue gun!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Not strictly a bike repair, but I didn't know where else to put it.
Following the instructions from this excellent video I put a new battery in my Garmin Edge 200.
I bought the battery from Amazon.
I also had to buy a screw driver to open the back cover of the Garmin (£3.00 from a local hardware shop) but some kits have this included.
I used a tyre lever to praise the Garmin's main body open, in the video he uses a special tool part of the kit.
The three little screws that attach the motherboard to the case have an unusual head, no screwdriver in my extended collection would fit: eventually I found a ratchet bit that did the job.
I could have not bothered about reconnecting the speaker wires, but wanting to do things right I bought a glue gun for a tenner to do this: it did not work out as I don't have a wire stripper, tried to strip the already short wires with scissors but ended up with no length left to twist them together for gluing, so the beeping sound is lost.
Other than that, the device works fine.
How long did the original battery last?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Four years of practically daily use.
It was still ok for up to 8 hours, but I'm going on a tour soon, need it to keep charge for at least 14 hours.

What about the Garmin ?

Top Bottom